• Moviebob

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Modern SpongeBob Animation

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Cheekbob (season 6 version)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Noodlebob knock-off (Season 4-5)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 2004 produced early season 4 (season 3 lookalikes)

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Greenblattbob (Dying for Pie and Fear of a Krabby Patty)

Votes: 24 18.0%

• Total voters

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I noticed all normal animation uses the same backgrounds, and even sometimes borrows from markerbob, But you'll never see Markerbob use noodlebob backgrounds

Yeah, markerbob is pretty much untouchable. Normal animation will also switch to another style in the middle of the episode and it'll remain that way for the rest of the episode. Just One Bite is a huge example, it started off as sailorbob, then switched to noodle in the second half. No Weenies Allowed was some weird fusion of noodlebob and sailorbob. The Sponge Who Could Fly switched from sailor to cube, and SpongeBob Meets the Strangler was vice versa. That never happens with markerbob, the most you'll get is a split second of normal animation or maybe even a few seconds of it like when Plankton was moving the grill in Welcome to the Chum Bucket. Other than that, markerbob doesn't switch. That's the biggest reason why markerbob is it's own category while normal animation is in several sub categories.

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
This is more Foley art so it's not really off topic

I notice how Post Movie began reusing old sound effects they abandoned since season 1 for example this

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
Yeah, markerbob is pretty much untouchable. Normal animation will also switch to another style in the middle of the episode and it'll remain that way for the rest of the episode. Just One Bite is a huge example, it started off as sailorbob, then switched to noodle in the second half. No Weenies Allowed was some weird fusion of noodlebob and sailorbob. The Sponge Who Could Fly switched from sailor to cube, and SpongeBob Meets the Strangler was vice versa. That never happens with markerbob, the most you'll get is a split second of normal animation or maybe even a few seconds of it like when Plankton was moving the grill in Welcome to the Chum Bucket. Other than that, markerbob doesn't switch. That's the biggest reason why markerbob is it's own category while normal animation is in several sub categories.
This makes me curious, I feel like Markerbob's animation team had it's own separate division in rough draft, they never mixed with other art styles' assets. Normal animation was all made in the same room. whereas MarkerBob's animators was more segregated

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
This makes me curious, I feel like Markerbob's animation team had it's own separate division in rough draft, they never mixed with other art styles' assets. Normal animation was all made in the same room. whereas MarkerBob's animators was more segregated

I think they had two rooms in Rough Draft; one for normal animation and one for markerbob. The normal animation team was likely much larger since the styles typically blur together.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I think it looks like it was produced in 2003. The majority of season 2 and 3 episodes without dot crawl look like they were produced in 2001. ‘Krusty Love’ has very bad dot crawl and GoldenBob, which makes it look 1999. ‘Christmas Who?’ and ‘Ugh’ look 2002, whereas ‘The Sponge Who Could Fly’ looks 2004.

Do you also agree with my opinions?

Most of Season 1 looks 1995 to me. The more off model episodes that is. Help Wanted looks 1993 and I Was a Teenage Gary looks 94/95. Episodes at the very end of the season like Walking Small or Fools in April look like they’re from ‘98.

Season 5 looks 2006, the entire season. Season 6 looks it’s age, and so does season 7. Season 8 to me looks like it came out in 2010. Very late 4:3 shows have bright colors.

Season 9A looks 2012, all of it. Older HD animation has a weird look to it that season 9A has. 9B looks 2015, and every episode from season 10 to present looks like it’s from 2017.

Last edited:

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Current SpongeBob looks like it was designed to be watched on your phone or laptop. It doesn’t look like it was designed for TV after the drawings became too off model and the camera angles became less panoramic. Season 9A on the other hand, had very panoramic camera shots.

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
Most of Season 1 looks 1995 to me. The more off model episodes that is. Help Wanted looks 1993 and I Was a Teenage Gary looks 94/95. Episodes at the very end of the season like Walking Small or Fools in April look like they’re from ‘98.

Season 5 looks 2006, the entire season. Season 6 looks it’s age, and so does season 7. Season 8 to me looks like it came out in 2010. Very late 4:3 shows have bright colors.

Season 9A looks 2012, all of it. Older HD animation has a weird look to it that season 9A has. 9B looks 2015, and every episode from season 10 to present looks like it’s from 2017.
Season 5 was made in 2006 until Money Talks which was 2007. but yeah Season 1 looks like something that came out 4 years prior, I mean look at the Simpson's cel quality in 1998 then 1994 then tell me what Season 1 of SpongeBob looks more like

ChrisSkeeter

Banished

Season 8 looks 2008/9 to me, whereas ‘Walking Small’ and ‘Fools in April’ look 1997 to me.

Last edited:

ChrisSkeeter

Banished

Season 8 looks 2008/9 to me, whereas ‘Walking Small’ and ‘Fools in April’ look 1997 to me.

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler
This part from Ugh looks so good in the Season 3 upscaler they used.

download - 2023-11-20T182056.918.jpg
Now compare it to SB-129 when they used a different Upscaler. Still good, but slightly blurry and more dark
download - 2023-11-20T182205.852.jpg

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I mean look at the Simpson's cel quality in 1998 then 1994 then tell me what Season 1 of SpongeBob looks more like

Depends on the episode. Some rougher looking episodes look like they're from the early 90's, I Was a Teenage Gary, Tea at the Treedome. Episodes like Hall Monitor, The Paper, or Reef Blower look 97/98.

Back