• Moviebob

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Modern SpongeBob Animation

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Cheekbob (season 6 version)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Noodlebob knock-off (Season 4-5)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 2004 produced early season 4 (season 3 lookalikes)

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Greenblattbob (Dying for Pie and Fear of a Krabby Patty)

Votes: 24 18.0%

• Total voters

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
‘Walking Small’ was in production in January 2000, which was after the storyboard for ‘Big Pink Loser’ was completed in November 1999. This gives further proof that some late season 1 and early season 2 episodes were being produced at the same time

The season 8 holdovers (Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go-Hello Bikini Bottom) were produced alongside some season 9A episodes. Interesting to know that 4:3 SD episodes were being produced alongside HD episodes, that explains the weird airing order we had at the time. Hello Bikini Bottom was shipped to Korea some time in March 2012 if you look at the model sheets on the wiki. Patrick-Man which was an HD episode was shipped Jan 2012. My guess is that the episodes that were conceived during season 8 were cropped to 4:3 to keep it consistent with the rest of the eighth season. If you watch Chum Fricassee, you could tell many shots were squished to 4:3. That episode was likely produced very very late, maybe as late as May
i used to be in a server that was run by a guy who had a lot of sb production info, and it said that was the day it was finally shipped

I'm assuming that server is gone

‘Frankendoodle’ and ‘Sailor Mouth’ also had very bad colouring, which caused SpongeBob to look a darker shade of yellow. The broadcast prints also have very bad dot crawl...

The coloring was pretty bad, it almost looked as if these episodes were cel animated. Band Geeks has really bad coloring too. I wonder what caused that?
24 and 25 were shipped on 10/16/00
43-47 were shipped between sep 2001 and jan 2002
Just One Bite recut was shipped in Nov 2001
52 was shipped on 4/29/02
60 was shipped on 8/9/02
61 was shipped on 2/4/05 (same day it was confirmed on sbm...)

Seems pretty late, Chocolate With Nuts was in the animation stage during the week of 9/11, so I'm shocked it didn't get shipped until April '02, only two months before it aired.

Pranks a Lot being complete in August 2002 makes sense, so many episodes were completed that year I'm surprised there wasn't at least one episodes in season 3 that was in production in 2003.

As for Fear of a Krabby Patty being finished on 2/4/2005, I still consider it a '04 produced season 4 episode since that was when most of the episode was being produced.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
In one thread, he said that even some digital shows during the early 2000s converted the computer files to flatbeds, so they could be aired on television

If you watch season 3 of Dexter's Lab, which was the first season of the show to be animated using digital ink and paint, in the credits, they have a telecline operator like they do for the cel animated seasons, this isn't the case for season 4:

1702053660583.png

Something interesting about season 3 of Dexter's Lab is that every single episode of that season was completed and copyrighted in 2001.

ChrisSkeeter

Banished
If you watch season 3 of Dexter's Lab, which was the first season of the show to be animated using digital ink and paint, in the credits, they have a telecline operator like they do for the cel animated seasons, this isn't the case for season 4:

View attachment 20286

Something interesting about season 3 of Dexter's Lab is that every single episode of that season was completed and copyrighted in 2001.
The thread I’ve listed was from 5 years ago, from the ‘Visual Artifacts Found in SpongeBob’ thread. Here is the link:

What were the possible jobs of the telecine operator, the online operator and telecine / online facility for the purpose of season 3 of Dexter’s Laboratory, even though the season was entirely digital despite the first five episodes having bad dot crawl? Also, some early digitally animated episodes of The Simpsons list two negative cutters and a telecine company. ‘A Star is Born Again’ was the first episode to not have negative cutters and a telecine company credited.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
The thread I’ve listed was from 5 years ago, from the ‘Visual Artifacts Found in SpongeBob’ thread. Here is the link:

What were the possible jobs of the telecine operator, the online operator and telecine / online facility for the purpose of season 3 of Dexter’s Laboratory, even though the season was entirely digital despite the first five episodes having bad dot crawl? Also, some early digitally animated episodes of The Simpsons list two negative cutters and a telecine company. ‘A Star is Born Again’ was the first episode to not have negative cutters and a telecine company credited.

Speaking of dexter, what year do you think each season of Dexter's Lab looks to you.

My opinion keeps changing upon further investigation which is why I keep posting about it but as of now it's this;

Season 1: 1993/94
Season 2: 1996/97
Ego Trip: 1998
Season 3: 2000 (dot crawl) 2003/04 (no dot crawl)
Season 4: 2006

ChrisSkeeter

Banished
Speaking of dexter, what year do you think each season of Dexter's Lab looks to you.

My opinion keeps changing upon further investigation which is why I keep posting about it but as of now it's this;

Season 1: 1993/94
Season 2: 1996/97
Ego Trip: 1998
Season 3: 2000 (dot crawl) 2003/04 (no dot crawl)
Season 4: 2006
TBS pilots: 1992
Season 1: 1993
Season 2: 1995 (first half of the season) / 1994 (episodes with bad red tint) / 1996 (very late episodes)
Ego Trip: 1997
Season 3: 2000 (episodes with dot crawl) / 2003 to 2005 (episodes without dot crawl, depends on the episode)
Season 4: 2007 (most episodes) / 2006 (D2)

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
TBS pilots: 1992
Season 1: 1993
Season 2: 1995 (first half of the season) / 1994 (episodes with bad red tint) / 1996 (very late episodes)
Ego Trip: 1997
Season 3: 2000 (episodes with dot crawl) / 2003 to 2005 (episodes without dot crawl, depends on the episode)
Season 4: 2007 (most episodes) / 2006 (D2)
Season 2 also has episodes with a greenish tint, Morning Stretch was one of them, Hunger Strike was another. I think the episodes with the red tint look 1995, while a normal looking episode of season 2 looks '97.

The episodes in season 4 with the rougher designs look like they're from 2006. The smoother looking season 4 episodes could pass for being from 2007 or even '08, just by the coloring alone.

ChrisSkeeter

Banished
Season 2 also has episodes with a greenish tint, Morning Stretch was one of them, Hunger Strike was another. I think the episodes with the red tint look 1995, while a normal looking episode of season 2 looks '97.

The episodes in season 4 with the rougher designs look like they're from 2006. The smoother looking season 4 episodes could pass for being from 2007 or even '08, just by the coloring alone.
I also wanted you to tell about why you think most old cel-animated shows used flatbed editors, and even some digital ones during the early 2000s for broadcasting. Your opinion may have changed after five years.

It’s strange that season 3 of Dexter’s Laboratory and the first half of the fourteenth season of The Simpsons have references to negative cutting and telecines. I haven’t seen people being credited for being negative cutters or telecine operators in SpongeBob at all.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I also wanted you to tell about why you think most old cel-animated shows used flatbed editors, and even some digital ones during the early 2000s for broadcasting. Your opinion may have changed after five years.

It was because I read an article with Paul Tibbit stating that when he first came in, they were still editing on flat beds

ChrisSkeeter

Banished
It was because I read an article with Paul Tibbit stating that when he first came in, they were still editing on flat beds
My guess is that ‘Help Wanted’ (and probably some other early season 1 episodes) were edited on flatbeds, whereas late season 1 was probably edited digitally.

When do you think most US cartoons that used cel animation stopped using flatbeds?

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Can you try to find that article?

I’ll send you the link if I can find it.

If you watch any live action shows I’ve noticed they age quicker than animated shows.

For example, if you’ve seen It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia the 4:3 seasons look older than they actually are. They look like they were filmed in 1996 or 1997 but the way they dress cancels it out since they’re wearing 2000s clothes.

Graperpetual Pretzel

Choir Boys bad Something Smells good
My guess is that the episodes that were conceived during season 8 were cropped to 4:3 to keep it consistent with the rest of the eighth season. If you watch Chum Fricassee, you could tell many shots were squished to 4:3.
Hm lost media widescreen versions of Season 8? It would be downright bizarre seeing a Springer episode in HD widescreen

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Hm lost media widescreen versions of Season 8? It would be downright bizarre seeing a Springer episode in HD widescreen

I don’t think they were produced in widescreen originally. They were made 4:3 on purpose to match the rest of season 8 while they were producing them alongside HD episodes

As for Chum Fricassee, I’m not sure, but something definitely looks off, as if it was cropped or something since it looks smushed.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Why do you think that? The digital scenes don’t look like they were edited on 35mm film to me, but digitally. How did they manage to even edit the digital scenes on flatbeds?

It's fact that almost the entire episode was shot on 35mm film. The cel animated scenes wouldn't have artifacts such as cue dots if that weren't the case

You could be right, not sure how they were able to insert the digital scenes into cel animated episodes

Last edited:
Back