Pinned thread What are you listening to?

Hawky Super Star

Coming in a mess, going out in style
"I find it a little difficult to say what the subject matter of this seminar is going to be, because it's too fundamental to give it a title. I'm going to talk about what there is. Now, the first thing, though, that we have to do is to get our perspectives with some background about the basic ideas which, as Westerners living today in the United States, influence our everyday common sense, our fundamental notions about what life is about. And there are historical origins for this, which influence us more strongly than most people realize. Ideas of the world which are built into the very nature of the language we use, and of our ideas of logic, and of what makes sense altogether. And these basic ideas I call myth, not using the word 'myth' to mean simply something untrue, but to use the word 'myth' in a more powerful sense. A myth is an image in terms of which we try to make sense of the world."

It's not very often that I decide to pull out one of these lectures, but every time, I'm in for a trip.

SpongeBobfan1987

"Fighting crime, trying to save the world..."
"The Second Arrangement" by Steely Dan

This song was accidentally erased from the band's session tapes for their 1980 Gaucho in 1979, and it was most recently rediscovered when some relatives of one of the band's members had a backup tape from that session, it was cleaned up of extra noises and posted on YouTube for everyone to listen to.

Back