We're Implementing Two-Factor Verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I understand the argument for using 2FA and why it was decided to implement it, but since this is a forum I barely visit, I have decided to discontinue use of SpongeBuddy Mania rather than constantly use 2FA to browse for ten seconds. I can just log out and view the forum without an account if I wanted to check in here. I appreciate the decision for user safety, but I won’t be using the site after this.

Thanks for letting me be apart of the SpongeBuddy Family.
You only need to use it at most once a month, but you do what you want.

Hawky Super Star

Coming in a mess, going out in style
You only need to use it at most once a month, but you do what you want.

Still too insecure! Gotta make it like the Crypto.com app, where you have to put in your password every single time you switch away and back to it.

I hope the sarcasm is clear enough

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
122 Conch Street, Bikini Bottom (or Pennsylvania)
I understand the argument for using 2FA and why it was decided to implement it, but since this is a forum I barely visit, I have decided to discontinue use of SpongeBuddy Mania rather than constantly use 2FA to browse for ten seconds. I can just log out and view the forum without an account if I wanted to check in here. I appreciate the decision for user safety, but I won’t be using the site after this.

Thanks for letting me be apart of the SpongeBuddy Family.
Farewell my friend, thank you for the memories and just overall making that part of my life funny when I look back at it...
:sad:

TheSpongyKnight

Heir to the Throne of King Neptune
That might be a problem for me, especially since (i admit it) I use the same account on three different devices, and also since Google likes to mess with us when we try to log into Google using the email we use for this site on a different device (even if it's our email to begin with).
There! I said it! Please forgive me. I don't know what I think I'm doing wrong by using the same account on more than one device, but at least it's better than getting banned for sockpuppeting.

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
That might be a problem for me, especially since (i admit it) I use the same account on three different devices, and also since Google likes to mess with us when we try to log into Google using the email we use for this site on a different device (even if it's our email to begin with).
There! I said it! Please forgive me. I don't know what I think I'm doing wrong by using the same account on more than one device, but at least it's better than getting banned for sockpuppeting.
Same account on more than one device? Thought that was completely normal

There's already options to log in using Facebook or Twitter/X/the Elon Musk site.
the problem is that I don't have a twitter or Facebook and sometimes I can't log in with stuff like lets say: a trick in my school computer that lets me browse unblocked except for Facebook and twitter, I will have to use my phone: which Is always dead or get another computer to sign in which is hard depending on the class

PinkPugPrincess

Baby Patrick Star
Staff
the problem is that I don't have a twitter or Facebook and sometimes I can't log in with stuff like lets say: a trick in my school computer that lets me browse unblocked except for Facebook and twitter, I will have to use my phone: which Is always dead or get another computer to sign in which is hard depending on the class
I understand. The staff may consider adding a "Log in using: Google" option in the future.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I have decided that because of this, I will no longer be active every day.
Sheesh, even the staff's complaining now. 😆

I think you should add a log in or sign in with gmail which would be more convenient
I understand. The staff may consider adding a "Log in using: Google" option in the future.
I am adamantly against logging in via third-party accounts. We've tried it in the past. It makes the backend messier, it requires us to keep up with API tokens, etc. And personally, while I have a Google account and a (rarely used) Facebook and Twitter account, I don't think they're worth polluting our site with. For the couple of people who would prefer them, I'm sorry, but you'll just have to sign up for a regular account like everyone else.

Looks like this has been changed to every 60 days.
This may be for that specific type of 2FA, which I believe @abney317 installed. Everyone here complaining about not logging in every day now needs to realize there's a "remember me for 30 days" button to check when you put in your code.

I'm chuckling here, but I really have no sympathy for anyone bemoaning the extra 30-60 seconds once a month it takes to copy/paste a code into a box, especially when this is standard procedure for your other social/email accounts. First world problems much?

:sbpopcorn:

Whisper

SBM's resident Sonic fan
Staff
This may be for that specific type of 2FA, which I believe @abney317 installed. Everyone here complaining about not logging in every day now needs to realize there's a "remember me for 30 days" button to check when you put in your code.

I'm chuckling here, but I really have no sympathy for anyone bemoaning the extra 30-60 seconds once a month it takes to copy/paste a code into a box, especially when this is standard procedure for your other social/email accounts. First world problems much?
You put it more bluntly than I probably would've, but yeah, this is basically my stance on it too. I've had 2FA enabled for ages, due to being a staff member, so having my account hacked into would be disastrous. I've never once hated having it on, because the extra 30 or so seconds it takes to login is worth it for the extra security. And it's as you said... we only have to do it once a month, so long as you check the box. It really isn't that bad.

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Scary Mustache Guy
I think it’s a pretty good change and 30 days seems reasonable. If I was y’all, I probably would’ve done 90 days, but 30 days isn’t something crazy like every week. Might I suggest enabling the 30 day login by default? I suggest this mostly because that’s what I imagine most active members will do.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Yes, it's set to 60 days now and it shouldn't ask you for a 2 factor code again unless you're on a new device or haven't been online for 20 days straight. So in general, if you actively check the forums, you aren't going to have to enter a code again on whichever device you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back