26a. Grandma's Kisses

6.5/10

I don't hate it as much as other people, though I would agree that maybe the crowd taunting SpongeBob for going to his grandmas was a little overkill. The rest was alright. When Patrick was teaching SpongeBob how to be a man, it was kind of funny. SpongeBob acting like a man was funny at times. Patrick acting childish isn't out of character, but it's kind of infuriating how just moments ago he was basically teaching SpongeBob how to be a man. I do relate to SpongeBob wanting to be a kid again though, so there's that.

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Imitation Krabs: (10/10)
Patty Hype: (10/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
Wormy: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
Grandma's Kisses: (6.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)

I think it was meh. I did not like the crowd mocking SpongeBob for getting a kiss from his grandma. 6.5/10.

OLD REVIEW NEW ONE BELOW!

Yet here we have it my friends the first ever truly bad episode of SpongeBob SquarePants even though i need to rewatch this episode i am not gonna do it right away i HATED this episode when i was younger SpongeBob overexaggerated over being kissed by his grandmother which is extremely uncalled for!

Final Rating: 2/10 Bad

Last edited:
The idea is off and continues the bad episode trilogy! Those bikini bottomities were jerks including squidward so i hate this episode

Rating: Garbage

Rankings:
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
Imitation Krabs (Superb)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)

I truly feel bad for this episode. It's not quite something i'd call GOOD, but I do think it gets unfairly lumped in with the worst of the pre-movie era. The most common complaint you'll hear about it is the scene of Spongebob getting mocked because of getting kissed by his grandma, and although I will agree it is not something that should have been ridiculed for as long as it was, at least it doesn't annoy me NEARLY as the mocking we'll see in a couple more seasons. The rest of it wasn't really that good either. The actual plot of Spongebob and Patrick becoming "adults" doesn't really get much time to play out because of Patrick giving in to being pampered, which means the stakes are significantly lowered than your average episode of the series. There were also significantly less jokes in here than normal. I laughed at the ways that Patrick ate the platters of cookies, and the jokes that they told with Spongebob's grandma presenting her kin practical "adult" items, but that's all there is in the way of comedy. The only aspect of the episode that I truly loved was Spongebob's grandma herself. I think she has a pretty optimistic and caring personality, a good character design, and a friendly voice.
It's a very mixed-bag episode, and if i had to rank it, i'd probably put in the range of 5 or 6 out of 10. Again, it does get too much hate, but there's not that many positives to it either

I truly feel bad for this episode. It's not quite something i'd call GOOD, but I do think it gets unfairly lumped in with the worst of the pre-movie era. The most common complaint you'll hear about it is the scene of Spongebob getting mocked because of getting kissed by his grandma, and although I will agree it is not something that should have been ridiculed for as long as it was, at least it doesn't annoy me NEARLY as the mocking we'll see in a couple more seasons. The rest of it wasn't really that good either. The actual plot of Spongebob and Patrick becoming "adults" doesn't really get much time to play out because of Patrick giving in to being pampered, which means the stakes are significantly lowered than your average episode of the series. There were also significantly less jokes in here than normal. I laughed at the ways that Patrick ate the platters of cookies, and the jokes that they told with Spongebob's grandma presenting her kin practical "adult" items, but that's all there is in the way of comedy. The only aspect of the episode that I truly loved was Spongebob's grandma herself. I think she has a pretty optimistic and caring personality, a good character design, and a friendly voice.
It's a very mixed-bag episode, and if i had to rank it, i'd probably put in the range of 5 or 6 out of 10. Again, it does get too much hate, but there's not that many positives to it either
Of course you feel bad for this episode it’s a season 2 episode

To be fair, the only episode I don't feel bad for is Dumped, I think it gets rightfully dunked on
but you still don't consider it bad because it's in season 2 you were nice and gave it a meh just because it's in your favorite season

but you still don't consider it bad because it's in season 2 you were nice and gave it a meh just because it's in your favorite season
Regardless of what season this episode is in, I will still consider it meh, because I find it to be dull with few funny moments here and there, and I think the scene of Spongebob getting mocked for being kissed didn't deserve this much backlash.

Regardless of what season this episode is in, I will still consider it meh, because I find it to be dull with few funny moments here and there, and I think the scene of Spongebob getting mocked for being kissed didn't deserve this much backlash.
I mean it did it was so mean spirited and just plain cruel it’s not as bad as some post movie scenes but it’s still it’s pretty cruel and they continued to do it at the end as well that made it worse

I mean it did it was so mean spirited and just plain cruel it’s not as bad as some post movie scenes but it’s still it’s pretty cruel and they continued to do it at the end as well that made it worse
Wait they also did it towards the end? i don't remember that, I might have to go back and watch the episode.

Wait they also did it towards the end? i don't remember that, I might have to go back and watch the episode.
Yes they did IDK how but they stalked SpongeBob’s grandma’s house and started laughing at the window when they were hugging

but as it stands it just average

Last edited:
Okay let's just get it out of the way, I'm not a huge fan of this episode. In fact I'm not a fan of this episode at all. I wouldn't go so far as to say I actually dislike it, though. Let's talk about it.

My main gripe with "Grandma's Kisses" is that it's immensely frustrating and, in my opinion, out of character. The people at the Krusty Krab teasing SpongeBob is annoying and unpleasant to watch, and perhaps our first instance of Bikini Bottomites being jerkwads, something I have basically never been a fan of. The out of character refers to SpongeBob in this episode. So far we have seen SpongeBob perfectly content in what others perceive as childishness, so I truly don't see him being bothered by something like being kissed by his grandmother. The movie did a much better job at making a believable plot centered on his insecurities about being childish, since it was actually tied to his job that time. Anyway, I know the episode is doing this on purpose, but SpongeBob acting out of character in this episode (I'm talking about him trying to act like an "adult" now) is not enjoyable to me. Like there are a couple jokes here and there that are funny, I will admit, but overall it doesn't really hit for me.

Also, the whole plot of this episode is kind of dumb to me because who publicly shames someone for receiving affection from their family? I've never seen that in my life. I've seen people on Twitter argue about whether being kissed by your parents is appropriate, but no one is denying that affection is a good thing, so this whole plot confuses me. And also, I thought there was a common understanding that we all kind of get the feeling of being babied by our grandparents, so why is this an issue again? I mean, I wouldn't know, but from what I've heard that seems to be a common consensus.

The ending of this episode is funny, when SpongeBob has his breakdown, but then of course it's ruined by the stupid plot with somehow Squidward and the other Krusty Krab customers getting the win??? First off, why are they stalking SpongeBob. And second off, I'm choosing to believe that this is one of those episodes where we as an audience understand that SpongeBob is the true winner here, because he has a family who bestows affection on him, while clearly everybody else has miserable lives lmao, because if that isn't the point then what is, exactly.

Those few things aside, this episode is truthfully rather dull. Like I said before, there's only a few jokes here and there that get a rise out of me (the freeform jazz joke is always great), and so I feel pretty meh whenever I watch this episode, which is rarely. That's also why this review is pretty short, because truthfully I don't remember too many details about this episode beyond what I can read on the SpongeBob Wiki. I don't think it's a bad episode (at least with my optimistic/hopefully factual view of the ending, because if the ending is supposed to be taken literally then this episode will be bumped down a tier immediately), because even while it is dull it isn't unenjoyable, so I see no reason to put it lower than my "Okay" tier.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score: 6/10

Interesting review. This episode definitely has some problems with its story and premise, which I never thought of before. Also, interesting point about SpongeBob vs the customers getting the win. Even when I was younger, I always interpreted it as the episode intending the customers to get the win since they "caught" SpongeBob having an emotional moment with his grandma. So they can all get one last laugh. But it's ridiculous if they did "win," since they're all stalking SpongeBob, like you said. Who knows for sure who was really intended to win.

The ending of this episode is funny, when SpongeBob has his breakdown, but then of course it's ruined by the stupid plot with somehow Squidward and the other Krusty Krab customers getting the win??? First off, why are they stalking SpongeBob. And second off, I'm choosing to believe that this is one of those episodes where we as an audience understand that SpongeBob is the true winner here, because he has a family who bestows affection on him, while clearly everybody else has miserable lives lmao, because if that isn't the point then what is, exactly.

me and my mom we always agreed this was the first awful episode of the show and thats true! I wanna see my grandma I don't know how much I have left with her until she just poofs! this episode does not help you should NOT get ashamed for getting kisses from your grandma

Back