SpongeBob is Pink and Patrick is Yellow

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff

How would you feel if these were the default looks for SpongeBob and Patrick? I know that it doesn't look like square pants on SpongeBob but let's pretend that they changed it to actual square pants with green and purple and the show is still called SpongeBob SquarePants.

The theme would have to be altered a little bit in the lyrics, for sure, but other than that, I could totally go for this look.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I think the smartness of SpongeBob's shirt and tie is a very important part of his character design, so green and purple shorts, even if square, just wouldn't make much sense. I like that his outfit is supposed to be formal but is also youthful because of the short sleeves and pants. You wouldn't get that same effect with brightly coloured surf shorts, because they're inherently informal.

It's also important for SpongeBob to be yellow, because the idea is that he looks like a kitchen sponge, and they're usually yellow.

Cha

I love SBM
spongebob_pinkpants_by_ross07cameroon-d4hq6lv.png

VPoDQOh.jpg

If we were just talking about color.

SpongeBob I can deal with, Patrick's is just too much. I mean it doesn't even look like Patrick could use his feet. Poor guy. :(

hfjs

Then they'd look like balloons that boxers use for practice.

This is impossible to judge.
Why? We've been ingrained with the original decorations since we first saw the show, so no matter how hard we try, our brains will record these designs in a way different than we would with a fresh (not just open) mind.

It's like learning a foreign language. To native English speakers, "I beed" sounds weird and "I was" sounds more "English". To a foreigner (with a fresh mind), I beed sounds so much better than I was. Granted, this is barely an apples to apples comparison, but it's a good model for why we can't judge this.

2000sKid

Giant Clam
There's no way it could be changed now. It would have to start that way for sure. Even so, Patrick would still need some slight changes, including the legs and eyes. Other than that, I would try it out

DiabolicalGenius

Mad Scientist/ Evil Genius
This is impossible to judge.
Why? We've been ingrained with the original decorations since we first saw the show, so no matter how hard we try, our brains will record these designs in a way different than we would with a fresh (not just open) mind.

It's like learning a foreign language. To native English speakers, "I beed" sounds weird and "I was" sounds more "English". To a foreigner (with a fresh mind), I beed sounds so much better than I was. Granted, this is barely an apples to apples comparison, but it's a good model for why we can't judge this.
Also because they're REALLY ugly. Not even ugly and proud. Just plain ugly.

TexasSponge

Floating Shopping List
CowBob RanchPants said:
spongebob_pinkpants_by_ross07cameroon-d4hq6lv.png

VPoDQOh.jpg

If we were just talking about color.

SpongeBob I can deal with, Patrick's is just too much. I mean it doesn't even look like Patrick could use his feet. Poor guy. :(
A pink spongebob would be epic! <3 Pink is my favorite color. xD

crushingmayhem

Krabby Patty Burglar
The show just wouldn't be the same. Spongebob's and Patrick's default colors are what make them what they are and changing them wouldn't do any good. I think the show would've been cancelled a long time ago if the character design was different.

DiabolicalGenius

crushingmayhem said:
The show just wouldn't be the same. Spongebob's and Patrick's default colors are what make them what they are and changing them wouldn't do any good. I think the show would've been cancelled a long time ago if the character design was different.
It just wouldn't be as iconic.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
DadMom AngryPants said:
I think the smartness of SpongeBob's shirt and tie is a very important part of his character design, so green and purple shorts, even if square, just wouldn't make much sense. I like that his outfit is supposed to be formal but is also youthful because of the short sleeves and pants. You wouldn't get that same effect with brightly coloured surf shorts, because they're inherently informal.

It's also important for SpongeBob to be yellow, because the idea is that he looks like a kitchen sponge, and they're usually yellow.
You say 'usually' yellow. So, it's possible that he could be a different color. :sbgrin:

DiabolicalGenius

ssj4gogita4 said:
You say 'usually' yellow. So, it's possible that he could be a different color. :sbgrin:
But, he isn't. It's also possible I'm another colour but I'm not. Anything is possible. But things that aren't aren't. But in a parallel universe...

Back