I was browsing eBay when suddenly ...

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
It turns out that SpongeBob was actually around in Japan way back in the 80s! Looks like Hillenburg is going to have a lawsuit on his hands when this news gets out. I can't believe we all thought he was so great when actually he just copied the idea from this 80s toy. What a jerk.

80s.jpg

more80s.jpg

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
It turns out that SpongeBob was actually around in Japan way back in the 80s! Looks like Hillenburg is going to have a lawsuit on his hands when this news gets out. I can't believe we all thought he was so great when actually he just copied the idea from this 80s toy. What a jerk.
There was actually someone a few years ago saying they had come up with the idea for SpongeBob with a similar name in the 1980s. There was a website with a radio interview and everything, someone posted it on here.

EDIT: Here it is! http://www.sbmania.net/forums/topic/15438-man-created-spongebob-first-sues-for-16billion/

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.

"It is more than ironic that two working class sponges are named Bob," Walker says in his complaint. "Both characters are unemployed. Both characters live in a house concept."

1. That's not what "ironic" means.
2. SpongeBob is employed.
3. OK, SpongeBob does live in a "house concept". I can't dispute that.

Overall, I can't believe this guy lost the case. He had such a sound argument. :p

Back