• Moviebob

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Modern SpongeBob Animation

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Cheekbob (season 6 version)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Noodlebob knock-off (Season 4-5)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 2004 produced early season 4 (season 3 lookalikes)

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Greenblattbob (Dying for Pie and Fear of a Krabby Patty)

Votes: 24 18.0%

• Total voters

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
View attachment 11899

Off model animation does not work in the age of crisp animation. This is when Spongebob is not making wacky faces, and it still looks weird and disproportionate. I would much prefer if they stuck with the art style that they had in the first half of season 9.
[/QUOTE]

Oh God, no. The animation in Season 9A was terrible. I hated it. Not just the horribly stiff and lifeless animation, but the characters looked bad too. SpongeBob especially. I am so happy that eventually changed.
If they should've returned to an older design, I would've chosen the designs from the 2004 movie.

That screenshot looks better than any 9A episode to me. As someone who like the art direction of the current seasons, I like how the characters are drawn now. Off-model face or not. Adam Paloian's own SB drawings are very delightful and perfect for the series. (Many of them are pretty rad, but the calmer ones fit my argument well.)

And I can argue that off-model animation still work today. Not only does it work in SpongeBob (when not overdone), but also in The Amazing World of Gumball and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. And the upcoming Looney Tunes reboot (led by Uncle Grandpa's creator).

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
To be honest, I don't mind that SpongeBob's shape doesn't vary as much as it's used to.
I don't consider these early off-model instances bad, but the artwork looked sloppy sometimes. Especially not fond of the so-called NoodleBob or the very thick red outlines in various Season 3 episodes.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
To be honest, I don't mind that SpongeBob's shape doesn't vary as much as it's used to.
I don't consider these early off-model instances bad, but the artwork looked sloppy sometimes. Especially not fond of the so-called NoodleBob or the very thick red outlines in various Season 3 episodes.

The thick red lines are from the markerbob episodes. The noodlebob episodes are where spongebob is tall and thin and has lanky arms.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
There are some burger king commercails from 2004 that had the same art style as the movie. The first two clips are moviebob, but the last one is season 4's version of noodlebob:

Ironically, I used to own one of the toys from the commercial, at 0:46.

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
it's from Family Guy Season 2 so yeah it look dull but it look fine as the show was revival

EM.

Moby Dollar
I've noticed that it's really only the classic seasons of Spongebob (1-4) that change the art style a lot throughout their run, and then season 5 and on there isn't much of a change.

Back