098. What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I really don't remember this special that well but I remember how mean the people of New Kelp City were being towards SpongeBob and every scene where the Bikini Bottomites were calling SB "idiot boy." Perhaps I'll watch it again soon so I can have an updated opinion of it.

Oh my God. This special is such a trainwreck. Nothing's funny and it's just so mean spirited. Not a pleasant experience and on top of that, the plot itself is really uninspired and stupid. I don't even know where to begin with this but it's a lot worse than I remembered it. Squidward breaking Sandy's device and SpongeBob not remembering who Sandy is and calling her a weasel were the absolute worst parts about this. 2.8/10

Thankfully there's always "Friend or Foe" if I want a Season 5 special that's 100x more entertaining and interesting than this also really makes me want to check out "Pest of the West" to see if that special's much better than this. I can now truthfully say that this is one of the worst episodes of Season 5. I can now see why it's gets so much hate.

Oh my God. This special is such a trainwreck. Nothing's funny and it's just so mean spirited. Not a pleasant experience and on top of that, the plot itself is really uninspired and stupid. I don't even know where to begin with this but it's a lot worse than I remembered it. Squidward breaking Sandy's device and SpongeBob not remembering who Sandy is and calling her a weasel were the absolute worst parts about this. 2.8/10

Thankfully there's always "Friend or Foe" if I want a special that's 100x more entertaining and interesting and this also really makes me want to check out "Pest of the West" to see if that special's much better than this.
I didn't mind SpongeBob calling Sandy a weasel because SpongeBob didn't remember anything about his friends and I find SpongeBob calling Sandy a weasel quite funny.

SB_DW_Fan said:
I didn't mind SpongeBob calling Sandy a weasel because SpongeBob didn't remember anything about his friends and I find SpongeBob calling Sandy a weasel quite funny.
True but this special still doesn't make any sense to me and the mean spiritedness was WAY overdone IMO.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
I hated the beginning, but I thought that it really picked up with the second half. Squidward's obsession with his fancy egg was funny.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
It's been a long time since I've watched this episode but remember it enough to do a review. The episode is bland while having just tons of unnecessary creulity. 3/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
In my top 5 of this season, I love this episode..:') 10/10 Dislike seeing so much hate about this episode, anyways I just like it..I remember watching it with my grandma ...which I can't from now and on do because she's dead maybe that's why I love that episode...

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 5

Episode: What Ever Happened to Spongebob?

This episode was very bad. The plot was kinda dull. The concept of the episode was also kinda mean spirited, because of the beginning. There were few funny jokes. 4.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Awful episode. I hate this one. This may be one of the most flawed episodes in the series. The characters are VERY unlikable and the story is poorly constructed, sloppy, and harsh. I mean Squidward was way OOC and the thing with the egg was unfunny filler. The amnesia destroyed any of the episode's purpose and is another terrible amnesia story. This episode's light on humor too. One of the worst specials ever.

2/10

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
CartoonJazzLover said:
(I'm tired of Squidward being happy whenever SpongeBob isn't around)

Squidward throughout the episode (this and the Splinter are at his worst) because SpongeBob is gone
So am I! I'm also sick of Squidward being a jerk to Spongebob, and no one complains about it! Especially in The Splinter! Thank God, I'm not alone!

Anyway, this special was not so good. The 1st half is depressing and the 2nd half is weak. Also, couldn't Patrick and Sandy hug Spongebob at the end?
4/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
This is definitely one of the weaker specials for me. :/. The characters in this one range from tolerable (SpongeBob), to straight up unlikeable (anyone who called SpongeBob "Idiot Boy"). The 1st half of the episode in general was so irritating and depressing, since I feel bad for SpongeBob when everyone called him "Idiot Boy". The 2nd half in genral is filler-o-rama and nothing of substance really happened here. Squid's Obsession with the egg is pretty funny, but other than that, it's just a sub-par special compared to the others. 3.5/10.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: What ever happened to SpongeBob? (S5-E98)

After watching this special, I started to HATE THIS ONE!!! I HATE IT when Squidward, Patrick, Sandy and Mr. Krabs call SpongeBob "idiot boy" and making him cry away. :facepalm: :thumbdown: Its your fault SpongeBob! (no offense) SB's friends never apologize at the end. The only thing likable is SpongeBob defeating The Bubble Popping Boys with simply bubbles.

Final Score = 1/10 :thumbdown: :patboo:

My least favorite special of the series. The whole plot makes no sense, the universe is out to get SpongeBob, and Squidward was so unlikable here. And I mean REALLY unlikable. Oh, and by the way, this episode isn't funny in the slightest.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. Blackjack (A)
6. The Krusty Plate (A)
7. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
8. Spy Buddies (A)
9. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
10. Friend or Foe (A)
11. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
12. The Inmates of Summer (A)
13. The Battle of Bikini Bottom (B)
14. Money Talks (B)
15. Goo Goo Gas (B)
16. Picture Day (B)
17. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob (B)
18. The Krusty Sponge (B)
19. 20,000 Patties Under the Sea (B)
20. Boat Smarts (B)
21. Blackened Sponge (B)
22. Night Light (C)
23. Rise and Shine (C)
24. To Save a Squirrel (C)
25. The Donut of Shame (C)
26. Pest of the West (C)
27. Slimy Dancing (C)
28. Le Big Switch (C)
29. Pat No Pay (C)
30. Fungus Among Us (D)
31. The Original Fry Cook (D)
32. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
33. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
34. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
35. Waiting (E)
36. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob? (F)
37. To Love a Patty (F)

coft

happy hopping moron
When I was marathoning the series, after I watched this one, it actually not only tainted my opinion of season 5, it also put me off watching the rest of 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & 9 (I marathon the show when S9 finished)

Back