094b. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I'm just gonna start off by asking why it took the crew so long to come up with the concept of Plankton using Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy to ruin Mr. Krabs' restaurant. It just seems so obvious; in fact, the episode also kind of acknowledges it. But anyway, I enjoyed this episode a lot. It gives a decently told story, with solid comedy and a nice callback to MM&BB 5, with the pipsqueak patty. The only problem I have is with the ending, it feels a little abrupt to end the episode off pretty quickly with a simple solution, whereas the rest of the episode has a better, slower pace.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob", an episode I've always found to be pretty fun. But based on the fact that there are very, very few comments on this very forum page about this episode, I suppose it has been rather forgotten hasn't it? Well, I guess I'll just to talk it up then.

I love how the first portion of the episode is such an unashamed obvious product placement. Even Man Ray is part of it. The parody of McDonald’s is quite clear. It’s kind of weird to see the Krusty Krab as such a commercialized place in this episode, like even though the restaurant is a commercial thing, it always had that…family-owned feel to it, you know? But with a deal like this one, it feels much more like a McDonald’s rather than a local place. Not that there’s anything wrong with this, I only point it out because it’s what I’m noticing. Another thing I like is Plankton referring to Squidward by name in this episode, which is a major step up from Plankton calling Squidward “the tall one” in “Bucket Sweet Bucket” lol. Yes, those characters still don’t really interact in this episode, but I can still like what I see. Also Squidward’s appearance in this first part of the episode (and really in this episode as a whole, it’s typically funny to see Squidward get beat up, sorry but it’s true) is hilarious, poor guy is mauled by a group of ravenous children. I think it’s cool that SpongeBob was the one to put together this whole thing too, and I feel like that connects nicely with MM&BB 6.

I think it’s interesting how when Plankton beats up the box with the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy figures, we both get an idea for a scheme, except mine is much better than his. While he comes up with the admittedly entertaining scheme of brainwashing MM and BB, I come up with the idea of having Karen buy one of the damn Krabby Patties lmao. Like why was there not a patty in the box? Maybe Mr. Krabs was smart enough to not give her a patty at least. Well, anyway, the way Plankton gets MM and BB under his control is entertaining enough, because the idea of mind control shampoo is pretty smart, and I love how we get the reveal of what it is too. Also, is Plankton in this part a parody of Dr. Bronners? Because I swear by that stuff (as SOAP, never as shampoo or conditioner, god that would be horrendous). Also it’s funny that BB gets shampoo considering he doesn’t even have hair lmao. Anyway, I like how evil Plankton’s plan is in this episode, because it works well with the comic book feel of the episode.

Speaking of comic book feel, I love how when SpongeBob gets his butt handed to him by MM, all he can do is talk about how he’s using moves from old episodes of their show. A true fan. Also, just like comic books, no one can tell when MM and BB are being so obviously mind controlled (you know I had to do it to ‘em, sorry. people in comics are some of the dumbest people ever, because let’s be real, Bruce Wayne being Batman would be most people’s first conclusion if they had to put any thought in it ever, and there absolutely would be large groups of people dedicating themselves to figuring out Batman’s secret identity, not to mention any other comic book hero, but I digress).

Anyway, the whole part where Plankton tries to get MM to say Krabby Patties are bad is…fine. It’s trying to be funny and it gets a couple chuckles out of me, but it kind of lasts too long. So that was a bit of a low point. But luckily once that ends, we get a fun sequence between SpongeBob and MM + BB (after the initial confrontation inside the restaurant, at least). *Tangent Alert* When SpongeBob said that he’s not just an ordinary fry cook, my mind immediately went to that TeamFourStar DragonBall Abridged series and their running joke of “you’re not dealing with the average Saiyan anymore”…that was a funny joke. I could talk all day about my qualms and loves with that series, but I won’t since this is a SpongeBob fansite lol. *End of Tangent* Anyway, the “fight” scene between SpongeBob and MM + BB is fun, and enjoyable to watch. And I love how Plankton’s like “I never thought I’d get this far”. And then I love how SpongeBob just busts in there with a truck full of fiber lmao. This whole episode feels like a product placement for something that doesn’t exist lmao (because it kind of is, which is the point). And then of course, we have Plankton realizing that he’s been foiled yet again. Maybe next time, Plankton. Maybe next time.

"Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob" is a pretty enjoyable episode. It's got funny moments, but the episode in general is not entirely funny. I'd also say that this episode is kind of meh on its execution of what the title promises. Like, the fight scene could've been more, and this is because of the pacing (we didn't even get the actual Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob until like 8 minutes in, and we didn't get MM + BB being mind controlled until like 6 minutes in, so perhaps that could've been handled better).

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.6/10

I really like this one the concept the humor and a lot of stuff here works!

1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. The Donut Of Shame (10/10)
  3. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  4. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  5. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  6. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  7. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  8. The Krusty Sponge (9.5/10)
  9. Sing A Song Of Patrick (9.5/10)
  10. MermaidMan Vs Spongebob (9.5/10)
  11. The Krusty Plate (9/10)
  12. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  13. New Digs (8.5/10)
  14. Blackened Sponge (8.5/10)
  15. BlackJack (8.5/10)
  16. Night Light (8.5/10)
  17. Money talks (8.5/10)
  18. Goo Goo Gas (7.5/10)