Question About "Suds"

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
If the suds is the sponge equivalent of just the common cold or the flu, why the halibut did his EYE FALL OUT?

Also, if he didn't have the suds in issue 26, what the heck was wrong with him? He even said that sponges don't get colds.

STK622578.jpg

Cha

I love SBM
Some colds are worse than others. :dunno: It seems like the suds are more the equivalent of the chicken pox when it comes to getting it once. Sponges there might have more unique illnesses than just the suds, therefore how he got sick again. That or they can have the fever and etc same viruses as us. Why is it that sponges don't get colds anyways?

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Award said:
Remember in pre hibernation week his mouth kept on falling, same logic here.
You're right. He's a bit of a shape-shifter. He tends to lose control of that against his will at times.

Cha said:
Some colds are worse than others. :dunno: It seems like the suds are more the equivalent of the chicken pox when it comes to getting it once. Sponges there might have more unique illnesses than just the suds, therefore how he got sick again. That or they can have the fever and etc same viruses as us. Why is it that sponges don't get colds anyways?
I dunno, that's a good question. He just said "I don't get colds." We never found out why.

Lego Spongy said:
Probably not the Suds, maybe the Soaks.
Perhaps. Sponge biology is strange.

OWM

XD
I'm pretty sure it was for comedic effect to show how sick he was.

PinkPearl

insert title here
Sponges probably react to things differently than people (fish) do. We've seen it before, like when Flats kept punching him and he felt no affect whatsoever (although that might be something entirely different). But of course these episodes/comics don't have much continuity so I guess it doesn't matter all that much.

iedasb

Crazy Artist
When I'm cold I feel so much pain in the eyes it looks like it's gonna fall...
idk maybe for fun

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
iedasb said:
When I'm cold I feel so much pain in the eyes it looks like it's gonna fall...
idk maybe for fun
When I have a fever, my eyes feel really hot for some reason, and sometimes they get watery. Maybe the suds takes that to the extreme.

pop_princess said:
Sponges probably react to things differently than people (fish) do. We've seen it before, like when Flats kept punching him and he felt no affect whatsoever (although that might be something entirely different). But of course these episodes/comics don't have much continuity so I guess it doesn't matter all that much.
The almost total lack of consistency in the show makes it weirdly interesting to analyze/explain.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
In Issue #26 he explicitly says he has a cold even though in "Suds" he said that sponges don't get them. But it doesn't really matter since the comics aren't canon. Maybe the person who wrote that story hadn't seen the episode.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
DadMom AngryPants said:
In Issue #26 he explicitly says he has a cold even though in "Suds" he said that sponges don't get them. But it doesn't really matter since the comics aren't canon. Maybe the person who wrote that story hadn't seen the episode.
True. Even IN canon Spongebob isn't known for following logic. An undersea fire will only burn out if it's acknowledged that there can't be fire underwater. Episodes end with characters being horribly maimed or exploding only to be fine the next day.

...wait, the comics AREN'T canon? I thought they were. Since the show has little to no continuity I wouldn't be surprised if they were canon. Especially since they're published by Hillenburg himself, and a great deal of them are written and drawn by former crew-members.

I feel like every time I go on here and talk to people, we're like

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Suds is possibly the worst possible illness a sponge can get. I actually feel bad that his eyeball was coming out :unsure:

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
100-Percent-Bunny said:
Suds is possibly the worst possible illness a sponge can get. I actually feel bad that his eyeball was coming out :unsure:
The "a sponge can only have the suds once" theory does make sense. I don't know if the episode supports it, but in "Whelk Attack" he speaks about it in past tense, as if it were the chicken pox or something.

I don't like seeing bad things happen to eyes. It freaks me out. Eyes, teeth, and choking scenes, those are the three things I can't stand in horror.

Back