A Pal for Gary isn't bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadFred

ooooooofy day
I've seen a lot of atrocity (and honorable animation) blog posts in the last few days. Now, I do not intend of making such (my reviews are saved for when I'll actually make a top/bottom episodes list), but I do want to cast my opinion of something.

I've been thinking about it for a while, so I'm almost 100% sure when I say that in my opinion, Face Freeze is the only bad Spongebob episode.

Yes, I mean it. I think that other 'awful' episodes, that are actually more uncomfortable for me to watch, don't have enough flaws for me to count as "bad".

Now, I'm actually going to focus my post on the episode A Pal for Gary, and convince you all why it isn't so bad (when I actually thought it was the worst episode a month ago). I'm doing so to compare to Face Freeze, so you'll get convinced that FF is the worst episode.

APfG starts when Spongebob goes to work, and he worries about Gary being left alone. Meanwhile, we see Gary enjoying himself by watching cowboys on tv (Cowbobs Ranchpants?).
You have to admit, that scene was actually pretty clever for season 7. It was quite heart-warming to see Spongebob caring so much for his pet, and the gag with Gary wasn't expected. Gary was definitely the best part of this episode, and we can easily symphatize for him.
Anyway, Spongebob decides to get (as the name implies) a pet for Gary to play with- Which again, is heart-warming to see. But of course, no one complains about this part of the episode- The troubles begins later on.

The old woman selling pets warns Spongebob from the deadly pets, that look harmless, but are deadly when near other animals. Spongebob is careless and steals (why stealing?) one of those adorable lil' killers. Again, this is cool; It brings a dark and mature aspect to the episode, and I could definitely see a similar plot fitting for a Simpsons Halloween special.

I'll pass this part (the "atrocity") quickly: Spongebob calls the pet Puffy Fluffy. While he's away, we see that Puffy Fluffy clearly tries to harm Gary- And we're not surprised, as we listened to the woman's warning (in contrary to Spongebob). The thing is, Spongebob is clueless about it. Instead, he is sure that Puffy Fluffy is innocent, and instead blames Gary that he's not "friendly" to the other pet.

Yes, I admit, that part annoys me. Gary suffers a lot of (pretty disturbing) abuse in here, and his owner seemingly doesn't care.

But, the episode gets back on track when Gary fights back(!). Gary almost gets eaten by Puffy Fluffy, when Spongebob wakes up and sees it.

Of course, he blames Gary. .-.
But, when Puffy Fluffy tries to kill Spongebob too, Gary decides to save him by using his awesome cowboy skills.The monster then feels defeated and runs away, and the episode ends with Spongebob bringing Gary to work.

The main impression I got from the episode is- Spongebob isn't the perfect pet owner. He's ignorant at times, and in this episode, he put his pet in danger because of ignorance.
But, he still cares. Spongebob worries about Gary, and overall he tries to do good. Gary is also good to spongebob, and even though he could have taken revenge, he still saved him.

That's why I now think that A Pal for Gary is not as bad as people say it is. It has a rather dark plot that's executed nicely, and a good overall message about the character bond in the series. Not everyone are perfect, but they have good intentions. It may not be as exciting, or have good jokes as in Band Geeks, but still.

Now, I do think that Face Freeze! is much worse, simply for it not having any plot or humor AT ALL. Seriously, the chain of events is:

• Spongebob and Patrick make faces
  • Mr. Krabs warns them not to make faces
  • Spongebob and Patrick get a face freeze
  • Sandy makes their faces more disturbing
  • Mr. Krabs and Squidward get a face freeze
Seriously. That is one of the dumbest, least original plots I've ever seen being used in a cartoon. It doesn't make any sense (why would Squidward and Mr. Krabs get a face freeze?), and it clearly suffers from lazy writing. Which is sad, because season 8 is one of my favorite seasons. I honestly still can't believe that Planet of the Jellyfish, Ghoul Fools, Home Sweet Rubble, A Friendly Game, It's a Spongebob Christmas, Treats, Hello Bikini Bottom, Sweet and Sour Squid, Plankton's Good Eye and Mooncation are at the same season as this one.

Well, that's my two cents on the issue. You're more than welcome to disagree with me, but when you do, keep the discussion mature (not "APFG IS THE WORST EPISODE EVAR HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF").

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
A Pal For Gary is a very bad episode in my opinion. But the beginning wasn't bad. Spongebob was very flanderized in this episodes. But the episode had some good laughs (like the cowboy film that Gary was watching :P).

Homie

get outer my space!
stock-photo-man-is-saying-no-112485890.jpg

More

VIP
I just watched To Love a Patty, and even though bad, not as bad as I remember. A Pal For Gary, WHY WOULD YOU THINK ITS NOT BAD!!!

And quite a few others are bad, like SitKwS and SitW, but I don't think Face Freeze is the only bad episode.

Even though FF is really bad.

MadFred

ooooooofy day
Ohad said:
You're more than welcome to disagree with me, but when you do, keep the discussion mature (not "APFG IS THE WORST EPISODE EVAR HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF").
More_Spongebob_Sandy said:
A Pal For Gary, WHY WOULD YOU THINK ITS NOT BAD!!!

Please be more constructive.

Kumatora0203

Moby Dollar
I will respectfully disagree with the whole spongebob argument
There is being ignorant and then there is just so stupid that it just overshadows anything good I can find with this episode.
He sees puffy fluffy literally about to kill his pet and he's says its Gary's fault for NO reason whatsoever.
All the crap Gary was put through and spongebob turning full stupid ruined any good it has.
Gary was awesome in this episode, but spongebob STILL blaming him in the end was just so UNLOVING that it overshadows any thing good.

Face freeze was just really stupid.
Waiting v2.0 with semi gross faces.

I understand why you like a pal for Gary but all the bad just ruined it for me.

Sweat

Banished
I disagree with both APFG not being bad AND Face Freeze being horrible. Face Freeze may have a bad ending and sub-par visuals, but it has humor at least for me in some way. With APFG, SpongeBob is the biggest idiot. Even when he SEES Puffy Fluffy turn into a monster and still gets mad at Gary for it.

Supmandude

Squog
Face Freeze is the single most underrated 11 minutes in all of animation history. The jokes are visual, not dialog based and it really is hilarious. It wasn't supposed to have a good plot, the story wasn't what it was made for, the visual gags are hilarious, though.

Ohad said:
Now, I do think that Face Freeze! is much worse, simply for it not having any plot or humor AT ALL. Seriously, the chain of events is:
  • Mr. Krabs warns them not to make faces
  • Spongebob and Patrick get a face freeze
  • Sandy makes their faces more disturbing
  • Mr. Krabs and Squidward get a face freeze
Seriously. That is one of the dumbest, least original plots I've ever seen being used in a cartoon.
Gee, it's almost like the gags were visual or something and the plot centered around them. It wasn't meant to have a plot that could be made into a novel. -_-

I feel like the hate for that episode was (mostly) all hype by people looking for things to say ruined their childhood. Almost every complaint I see is that the faces are "weird" which just means they were original and actually took creative and artistic talent. SpongeBob's always been a weird show, something extremely weird should be welcomed, in my opinion.

At least we can agree on A Pal for Gary, though. I love that episode. :P

Kumatora0203

Moby Dollar
Face Freeze is the single most underrated 11 minutes in all of animation history. The jokes are visual, not dialog based and it really is hilarious. It wasn't supposed to have a good plot, the story wasn't what it was made for, the visual gags are hilarious, though.
Gee, it's almost like the gags were visual or something and the plot centered around them. It wasn't meant to have a plot that could be made into a novel. -_-
I feel like the hate for that episode was (mostly) all hype by people looking for things to say ruined their childhood. Almost every complaint I see is that the faces are "weird" which just means they were original and actually took creative and artistic talent. SpongeBob's always been a weird show, something extremely weird should be welcomed, in my opinion.
At least we can agree on A Pal for Gary, though. I love that episode. :P

I just didn't find it funny.
I don't HATE HATE It. It's just bad (and when I say bad I mean like a 3/10)
The faces were disturbing but had some designs where I can tell it's not just gross out.
Its a slightly worse version of ripped pants (flame shield)
Both were repitive and boring just without a stupid ending and instead of being annoying to hear its annoying to look at.

goodmorning

Moby Dollar
speaking of episodes with no plot,spongebob,you're fired barely had a plot. and there were no visual gags.

Supmandude

Squog
No plot isnt a good thing......
It has a plot. The plot is thin and completely centered around the visuals and not nearly as important as the visuals themselves.

Squidward giving a piece of paper to SpongeBob and wanting it back sounds like a kind of dumb plot on its own, but I think most people would agree that's a classic episode because the gags are so funny; in Face Freeze the visuals are the gags.

I mean, if you don't find it funny, it's fine; I just don't think most people gave it a chance because there were far too many "This ruined my childhood" posts clouding legitimate judgment of this great episode and too many people seem to forget that SpongeBob was always weird.

Besides, it can teach you a lesson about listening to your parents... almost. :P

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I did kinda like how at the start, SpongeBob was genuinely worried about Gary and didn't want him to be lonely. Even though he was ignorant, at least he did get Puffy Fluffy for Gary with good intentions

Karen 5000

Is it Rainbow Crash or Rainbow Dash?
I think A Pal For Gary is worse than Face Freeze. In Face Freeze even though it seems gross, I think my rating would be a 4/10.
The only thing I like about A Pal For Gary is Gary's cowboy skills. 3/10(Grossed out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back