• In an effort to mitigate against spambots and weak passwords, we're implementing two-factor authentication. The set-up process should be automatic and simple.
    Please contact the staff if you have problems. More information in this thread. Thank you!

Windows 8.1 (Blue)

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
Windows 8 is too much of a icon and UI centric interface, and although I think it is very user-friendly, with it's bubbly and colorful interface, it's not as intuitive. I know it has a lot of bugs and little things that Microsoft would like to fix, so it'll be interesting to see what's new and what's fixed when it releases.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
Shoot, Windows 8 is terrible for me. Had a laptop with it on it and quickly took it back. Got the money back and bought something with Windows 7. I had every type of Windows and Windows 7 was a huge improvment on Vista (which was terrible in my opinion) and they mess it up again. I'll stay with my Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Windows 8 has royally fudged up my laptop. It will show the splash screen but then no login screen, just black. Back to Windows 7 (again) I guess, although I don't know if I'll ever get round to it since my laptop is rubbish anyway

sbl

totally active
Windows 8 end of support!
  • Mainstream support: Until January 9, 2018
  • Extended support: Until January 10, 2023

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
8.1 is out! Go go go!

If you already have Windows 8, it's a free update. Just go to the Windows Store app (green tile) and it should be the first thing you see.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Here's what my Start screen looks like, showing off the various different tile sizes: small, medium, wide and large.

mZmXD1Xl.png

The new large tile is pretty cool because it shows off more off a picture (like in the News app above, or an artist in the Music app), and allows you to view several things at once:

gSVh7dv.png
yM1ClkH.png

Mail app/new menu visual aid

The Mail app has changed colour from teal to blue to fit in with the Outlook and Outlook.com colour scheme, although you can hardly tell.

30MtYFll.png

You should be able to see a long thin blue bar at the bottom of the above screenshot, with three white dots on the far right. This is a new visual aid that Microsoft has put into some of the default apps that come with Windows, to help people new to the Metro user interface. It does the exact same thing as right clicking did (and still does because the three dots doesn't appear in every app), which is bring up the menu bar:

czWEh4ul.png

It also appears in Internet Explorer, this time in black to match the colour scheme of the app:

kgxNzP8l.png

Media/Volume Control

Next up, this is the main thing I would miss (and did miss) if I had to go back to Windows 7, the media/volume control. It hasn't changed much since Windows 8 but I did notice it was slightly translucent, not sure if that's new or if it's always been like that. As you can see it let's you pause and control what you're listening in Xbox Music, and shows album art.

It's really simple but well executed, so it's good to see it hasn't changed too drastically. Hopefully we will see other apps like Spotify and Rdio make use of it if they don't already, haven't tested them yet (don't think they have Windows 8 apps yet actually):

M5wnPvx.png

Smart Search

In Windows 8 the search charm would search within an app, within your files, and within settings, but not everywhere on your system. In Windows 8.1 the search charm defaults to an 'Everything' setting, so it's basically like the search function on an iPhone or iPad.

However what Microsoft is expecting people to use it for the most is to search the web (obviously) and so it's been trumpeting this new Smart Search feature. When you search for a well known person or group, you get this really nice visual search result with pictures, brief biography, and a button that takes you to the Wikipedia app and the article for that person. If it's an artist you can play their songs from Xbox Music. After that you get Bing search results with nice screenshot thumbnails of each site.

BRdDPDXl.png

N2Yfq8Wl.png

PdnN01Zl.png

You can also search for people that you know. For example, here's what happens when I search for two of our great leaders (emails redacted):

RKuLGUul.png

Mk7WPlhl.png

I think Smart Search is going to become one of the really cool, standout features of Windows 8. It's pretty awesome and looks beautiful, don't you agree?

There's only one problem. It's powered... by Bing :O :( :cry2: :nono: :facepalm: :bleh: ._. =O :mad: :umm: :eek:

Well. It's not THAT bad. But yeah, Smart Search. Pretty pretty pretty cool.

Back