Why is Squidward the abused character

Why can't Patrick be the Abused Character. -_-

Oh, and the writers think that Squidward Abuse is "Funny". ITS NOT

Because he's the "grumpy troll" of the show who the writers think deserves it for being such a "grumpy troll". That's how I put it at least.

Well because he is the miserable one and they make him have a miserable life.

Sometimes Squidward deserves the abuse for being a jerk, or he brings it on himself, and in those cases I'm fine with it. What I can't stand is when he's abused without having done anything to deserve it, when the writers just decide to torture him for little to no reason. That's what I consider Squid Abuse, if he actually had it coming I don't really consider it abuse.

I don't like character abuse in general, but it always seems to happen to Squidward (and he gets the worst of it when it does).

I think Gary abuse is even worse than squid abuse. I still hate squid abuse, though.

There's a difference as I've and many other members state before, a difference between funny and well deserved abuse and random abuse. There have been times when a character who's not Squidward got abused for no reason. Fools in April and I'm With Stupid anyone? SB got abused in those. But even my third most favorite episode has a lot of Squidward abuse, Jellyfishing. That episode was tons of it, but no one complains. I guess you could say it was deserved, but not really. And The Camping Episode (ironically the original title was Squidward Gets Mauled) is almost all about Squidward getting hurt. But it's funny and semi deserved. So ask this, why do we enjoy Squidward abuse even in older episodes? Because that's who Squidward was meant to be, when he gets hurt for being his s sarcastic self we can side with SB/Pat. It's like Eeyore and what happens to him usually. Squidward is meant to be push and shoved sometimes, even though sometimes it can be unneeded.

There's a reason other characters don't get the abuse. I'll analyze.

SpongeBob (the main protagonist). Okay. Generally, you don't see the main protagonist get all kinds of abuse, lest we leave out any harm (comical or sad) endured during whatever mission or hi-jinks the protagonist is partaking in.

Patrick (resident buffoon). He is what we call the comic relief. He provides the jokes, and is the stupid sidekick to the main protagonist. He accompanies him on most missions, and is seen mostly partaking in random, almost comical events. He is the Robin of Batman on this show. And Robin wasn't abused.

Mr. Krabs (the miser). The boss. The godfather. He looks over SpongeBob, he is the wise one. The old one, if you will. He provides advice, but mostly the creators have spun-off their own version of the wise old man, and turned him into a greedy old boss. Whatever abuse he gets, he deserves (be it painfully witnessing any act of money stealing, shredding, burning, etc).

Sandy (the underwater scientist). She is the intelligent one. She is the athletic one. She provides her tools and out-of-world inventions to help the protagonist on his quests and journeys with his best friend buffoon.

Gary (the pet, the animal). I won't say anything more about this little guy than "lay a finger on this guy, and PETA will be on the writers like ugly on an ape."

Plankton (the classic antagonist). Classic, because common tales (episodes) revolve around the antagonist devising to complete a series-long quest, failing, and returning to his state at the beginning of the episode. Of course, he is just abused in the way cartoon antagonists are. He is just being foiled in his plans. It's the necessary formula of a series to work, the antagonist tries to defeat the protagonist (in reality, that would mean Mr. Krabs, as we see Plankton's interactions towards SpongeBob as mostly manipulative, and SpongeBob's towards Plankton mostly oblivious)

So where does that leave Squidward?

Squidward (resident grouch). Many people point this out, and I'll just sum it up. Squidward is the person who somehow, be it advertently or inadvertently, gets in the way of harm. He, at the mercy of the writers, is decided to have fate the way the writers want it. And ultimately, the grouch is grouchy for the reasons he's living. He is tormented at the hands of the writers and is scripted mostly as a complete loser (bad clarinet skills, menial cashier job, and even ultimate psychological effects (to the point he goes crazy, berserk, infuriated or totally depressed), his role as a loser is outstretched (albeit mostly too much) by the writers for laughing purposes. Although most would agree that it is not funny when psychologically analyzed, the writers wouldn't clearly agree so as we continue to see, episode by episode, the town's grouch take most of the fall for the other characters.

Trophy said:
yeah you probably did it doesn't deserve a laugh at all to me.
i found it funny because it's not the anem I would ever expected to have even crossed their minds

Something I'm always inclined to wonder is how somebody like Squidward is supposed to have wound up in a place like Bikini Bottom. It's like being a hockey player in Mexico or an intellectual, in, uh, Mississippi (*shifts eyes uncertainly trying to make sure there aren't any Mississippian members I don't know about*). We only ever saw any members of his family in Krusty Towers and Stanley S. SquarePants, correct? And there's nothing to necessarily suggest that his mother lives all that close, so it's not as if she's walking around in the background all day. Just seems as if the type of place that Squidward wouldn't settle unless he had prior associations there. The reason I bring this up is because, when you think about, a large amount of Squidward abuse has come from the townspeople themselves. They can't understand them, he insults them on a regular basis, and so it can lead to him being abused/trampled/pelted with tomatoes/incarcerated/any other alternative. (I'm inclined to cite such episodes as The Play's the Thing, Professor Squidward, etc. Not saying SB & Pat aren't the main source of Squidward abuse, but it doesn't help that the city's denizens are constantly dishing it out as well.). Same would probably happen to me if I lived in, say, Tupelo.

Back