The dehydration issue ... and is it even an issue?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I keep seeing comments (not necessarily negative, mainly curious) about how the characters shouldn't be able to survive on land so the premise of the new movie doesn't make sense. It got me wondering about whether they will address it in the movie at all.

The sea creatures' ability to survive without water is inconsistent. Whenever they visit Sandy it's helmets or near-instant death, but in the first movie they could tolerate air for a reasonable amount of time and it was the heat lamp that hurt them. In "Pressure" they did OK until the seagulls turned up.

After they get superpowers the air/water thing won't matter but there's some time before that where they're walking around on land. Do you think they'll even acknowledge it? It wouldn't bother me too much if they don't, since they didn't in the first movie, but I would prefer it if they did since it looks like they're out of water for longer this time and I can't help but feel people will latch onto it and complain about it. Even a simple comment about one or more of the characters wanting water would be fine, just so the audience knows the writers didn't forget about such a major thing.

Or at least do this:
vlcsnap_2014_06_22_13h20m29s97_by_booberfan-d7uiqya.png

vlcsnap_2014_06_22_13h20m08s133_by_booberfan-d7uiqxq.png

They'll probably find a way for them to keep hydrated, probably from the ocean's mist and waves. Tom Kenny even said they have about (thirty minutes was it?) until they ran out of life. Honestly it's not that big of a deal, if people were really curious they'd watch the rest of the series to know that. But you have people who usually nitpick episodes and haven't even seen all of them. I know the show can be picked up from almost any episode pre or post, but people really need to learn. :dunno:

Does logic even have to matter in a cartoon or animated movie? Maybe in a serious cartoon, but to me, it really doesn't in a cartoon that isn't meant to be serious. I have a feeling that the people who complain about the characters on land and how they're going to survive on it in the Second Movie don't have a problem with it in the First movie or Pressure. If they're going to comment about cartoon logic, the commenter themselves need to use their logic.

President Squidward said:
Does logic even have to matter in a cartoon or animated movie? Maybe in a serious cartoon, but to me, it really doesn't in a cartoon that isn't meant to be serious. I have a feeling that the people who complain about the characters on land and how they're going to survive on it in the Second Movie don't have a problem with it in the First movie or Pressure. If they're going to comment about cartoon logic, the commenter themselves need to use their logic.
It's called ANALYZING. It's fun. You should try it sometime.

DiabolicalGenius said:
I don't see them analyzing the logic of how they were able to breathe on land in the First Movie.

President Squidward said:
I don't see them analyzing the logic of how they were able to breathe on land in the First Movie.
Maybe they were back then, and maybe they should analyze that. Somebody should start a topic... :p

DiabolicalGenius said:
Not that I disagree with you, but analyzing children's cartoons can go a little too far sometimes... @_@
Like Cha said, the writers will address the dehydration thing somehow and since there's a magic book involved in the plot, I'm guessing that's what keeping the characters alive for so long.
My question is why is Sandy still wearing her suit above water? She's a land creature, so shouldn't there be enough air at the seashore for her to not need it? (Yeah, I tend to ask more questions than get answers when it comes to analyzing.)

SBManiac!!!!!! said:
Not that I disagree with you, but analyzing children's cartoons can go a little too far sometimes... @_@
Like Cha said, the writers will address the dehydration thing somehow and since there's a magic book involved in the plot, I'm guessing that's what keeping the characters alive for so long.
My question is why is Sandy still wearing her suit above water? She's a land creature, so shouldn't there be enough air at the seashore for her to not need it? (Yeah, I tend to ask more questions than get answers when it comes to analyzing.)
They don't have control of the book at first though, they have to come on land to win it from Burger Beard.

As for Sandy, she doesn't have her glass helmet on so maybe she's just wearing the rest of the suit for convenience in case they need to get back into the water quickly. Where she's keeping the helmet until then is another mystery.

DadMom AngryPants said:
They don't have control of the book at first though, they have to come on land to win it from Burger Beard.

As for Sandy, she doesn't have her glass helmet on so maybe she's just wearing the rest of the suit for convenience in case they need to get back into the water quickly. Where she's keeping the helmet until then is another mystery.
Hmm, true.

I can't believe I did not notice she didn't have her helmet on in the trailer. XD
What you said makes sense, though.

SpongeBob has bubble power... plus they could just pack water bottles or something. Besides it doesn't matter, it'd just get in the way of the plot unless it's a race against time thing.

It might not be a problem because of the scenes in the trailer.

Based on the trailer, the central plot device is this magical book that can "change story". In one scene SpongeBob got te book, and then talk about "changing the story" or something like that, in the next scene they're human size superheroes, so I assumed that they wrote about being superhero in the book, and bam, superpower. So maybe at one point, SpongeBob gave themselves ability to survive on the surface using the book.

There's my wmg.

Back