• In an effort to mitigate against spambots and weak passwords, we're implementing two-factor authentication. The set-up process should be automatic and simple.
    Please contact the staff if you have problems. More information in this thread. Thank you!

Squidward in My Pretty Seahorse?

Supmandude

Squog
BabySmitty said:
Because it was funny.

Squid abuse can be funny. In this incident, it very much is.
I know, but what about the people with no sense of humor who take everything too seriously? :P

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Supmandude said:
I know, but what about the people with no sense of humor who take everything too seriously? :P
I think it depends. And it's all pretty subjective.

Like.... I thought "Good Neighbors" was pretty damn funny, even though it's one of the most hated episodes of all time, but I thought "Club Spongebob," a pre-movie episode, was just plain mean.

Growlie

Best Boy
Yet, another scene (Just like that one in the bully.) I never laughed at.
What was the point of that scene? Why did Squidward explode?

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Note to self: Watch out for Karma :notetoself:

Yeah, Squidward didn't watch out for Karma.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Growlie said:
Yet, another scene (Just like that one in the bully.) I never laughed at.
What was the point of that scene? Why did Squidward explode?
I sort of agree. I thought this scene (Squidward exploding) was funny, but The Bully was always kind of uncomfortable to watch, even as a kid.

WhoWantsStancakes

Supmandude said:
mr__enter_design__5_by_codykins123-d759cw8.jpg

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I wish more people had a thick skin when it came to this kind of comedy. I think a lot of people have just lost sight of what it is and get offended way too easily now. Next thing you know, people are gonna whine and complain because of the kind of humor and slapstick that The Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy had or get offended by Seinfeld and Larry David's characters. How boring would this show be if there was no conflict or any kind of physical humor whatsoever?

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
I wish more people had a thick skin when it came to this kind of comedy. I think a lot of people have just lost sight of what it is. Next thing you know, people are gonna whine and complain because of the kind of humor and slapstick that The Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy had or get offended by Seinfeld and Larry David's characters.
The only entires on Enter's "Squidward Torture Pom" and "Patrick's A Prick" lists that I disagreed with were "I'M With Stupid" and "Good Neighbors." I thought they were legitimately funny. I thought "Boating Buddies" was funny in a sick/guilty sort of way. I can forgive a character acting like an out-of-character jerk, or getting hurt, if it's funny somehow. (Then again, humor is subjective. I never found "The Bully" or Spongebob's pain in "Krabby Land" to be funny, but I think "Jellyfishing" is hilarious.)

Slapstick and mean-spirited comedy only legitimately work, IMO, when either A) the character or characters on the receiving end legitimately deserve, it, or B) it's just plain hilarious.

The episode "Squid's Day Off" is a good example. Squidward attempted to shove his entire workload onto a nice, sweet guy who was gullible enough to go along with it. Karma bit Squidward in the butt, and he had a pretty nasty psychotic breakdown.

"Just One Bite" is funny because Squidward's lack of restraint and his hedonism got the best of him.

The ending of "Dying for Pie" was funny because Squidward had acted like a jerk and almost got an innocent person killed.

The ending of "Krab Borg" was funny because it was incredibly stupid and too outlandish to take seriously. Spongebob was kind of a jerk, but it was HILARIOUS.

And BTW, I absolutely LOVE "Laurel & Hardy."

PinkPearl

insert title here
Supmandude said:
(By the way, this is one of the funniest scenes ever. xD)
Maybe that's why nobody complained :P Otherwise, this episode came out before Squidward abuse really started going over the top.

Popeye Q. Krabs said:
I wish more people had a thick skin when it came to this kind of comedy. I think a lot of people have just lost sight of what it is and get offended way too easily now. Next thing you know, people are gonna whine and complain because of the kind of humor and slapstick that The Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy had or get offended by Seinfeld and Larry David's characters. How boring would this show be if there was no conflict or any kind of physical humor whatsoever?
But I also agree with Popeye. Squidward abuse can be hysterical. It's sort of like a running joke.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
pop_princess said:
Maybe that's why nobody complained :P Otherwise, this episode came out before Squidward abuse really started going over the top.
Yeah. There's a difference between someone comically exploding for no apparent reason only to say "...ouch" nonchalantly, and someone getting their toenail graphically and brutally ripped off as they scream in agony.

pop_princess said:

But I also agree with Popeye. Squidward abuse can be hysterical. It's sort of like a running joke.
I agree. Squidward abuse early on was either A) so over-the-top and ridiculous that you can't take it seriously, or B) he deserved it for acting like a jerk.

Example. "Dying for Pie." Spongebob operating on Squidward, clearly puncturing his heart, blood spurting. It's a very quick gag, and he's totally fine in the next scene, and it's mentioned again. To an extent, karma was biting him in the butt, because he had acted like a jerk and endangered an innocent person's life. And it was too over-the-top and weird to take seriously.

"Jellyfishing" was funny because it was just plain stupid. Squidward was being a grump... then Squidward exploded, got hot soup blown in his face, got his hand impaled by a jellyfish net, and was repeatedly stung by jellyfish. HOWEVER... he got revenge on the people who caused him that pain, and at the end we saw that he was totally fine (albeit kind of confused and freaked out.)

Compare that to something like "Choir Boys." He wasn't doing anything remotely mean, and he was minding his own business. His dreams were ripped away from him, he was brutally stung and covered in pulsating pustules, and at the end of the episode he was clearly depressed about his life.

just my opinion... I might be wrong though. I mean, I'm probably one of the only people who felt bad for Squidward in "Club Spongebob." It was just kind of sad to watch him suffer like that.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
BabySmitty said:
The only entires on Enter's "Squidward Torture Pom" and "Patrick's A Prick" lists that I disagreed with were "I'M With Stupid" and "Good Neighbors." I thought they were legitimately funny. I thought "Boating Buddies" was funny in a sick/guilty sort of way. I can forgive a character acting like an out-of-character jerk, or getting hurt, if it's funny somehow. (Then again, humor is subjective. I never found "The Bully" or Spongebob's pain in "Krabby Land" to be funny, but I think "Jellyfishing" is hilarious.)

Slapstick and mean-spirited comedy only legitimately work, IMO, when either A) the character or characters on the receiving end legitimately deserve, it, or B) it's just plain hilarious.

The episode "Squid's Day Off" is a good example. Squidward attempted to shove his entire workload onto a nice, sweet guy who was gullible enough to go along with it. Karma bit Squidward in the butt, and he had a pretty nasty psychotic breakdown.

"Just One Bite" is funny because Squidward's lack of restraint and his hedonism got the best of him.

The ending of "Dying for Pie" was funny because Squidward had acted like a jerk and almost got an innocent person killed.

The ending of "Krab Borg" was funny because it was incredibly stupid and too outlandish to take seriously. Spongebob was kind of a jerk, but it was HILARIOUS.

And BTW, I absolutely LOVE "Laurel & Hardy."
Good points. Humor is subjective at the end of the day and can be influenced by our own life experiences and perspectives. What I might find funny (yes, I do like The Bully and Club SB), you probably won't for different reasons and that's perfectly fine. I also don't mind black humor too much, which is why I can laugh at the scabies on the cake joke.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
Good points. Humor is subjective at the end of the day and can be influenced by our own life experiences and perspectives. What I might find funny (yes, I do like The Bully and Club SB), you probably won't for different reasons and that's perfectly fine. I also don't mind black humor too much, which is why I can laugh at the scabies on the cake joke.
I like black humor, too. I mean, one of the funniest episodes was "Nasty Patty," and that was all black humor. It had an innocent person get repeatedly concussed, and almost buried alive under the misbelief that he was a corpse. And how many scenes have ended with Squidward careening off a cliff and exploding? That's never NOT funny IMO.

Weirdly enough, with "The Bully," the parts that I found the funniest were the old man scenes, where the townsfolk tried to beat up an innocent old guy. Something about that was hysterical for some reason. As well as the entire scene in the bathroom, that was really funny, too. But the joke about Flatts beating up his own dad, and the scene of Puff trying to help but only making it worse.. those were just kind of uncomfortable to watch.

I think "Club Spongebob" would have been funnier if Squidward had been more of a jerk at the beginning. Then his misery would have been funnier. But the guy was basically starving, and the conch shell (which we can assume might be some divine being) refused to let him eat. It was just kind of.... sad, IMO. His worst crime was not believing that a plastic toy was sentient.

For some reason, though, I thought "Good Neighbors" and "Boating Buddies" were funny. I might be a horrible person.

Back