Spongebob OP Review: Transition & Connection Matters

SandyLovesPainting

Imitation Krab
Favorite Character
Sandy Cheeks
"That was pretty good, actually." -- Rap battle from SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water(2015)
Today I want to talk about the Spongebob opening theme song (OP) and share my insight about it.This is my first formal post, feel free to point out your ideas and some language error if exists.

From the first episode to today, that theme barely changes, albeit the "new" version enlarges its size from 4:3 to 16:9 and enhances its color, which made me curious WHY. After some thinking, I conclued the following reasons.
1.transition
2.connection
3.repetition

The 3rd reason can be easily spotted out and has become consensus. But other annimation like Pokemon OP1(1997) takes it even further. In Japanese verison the first 30sec are filled with "repetitive words". In fact, I believe what keeps Spongebob OP structual unchanged lies in its great interaction towards viewers for the first two reasons. Here are the details.

Transition is a way to change one state or condition to another. In Spongebob OP, the way to change viewer's sight from land to underwater is NO MORE THAN NAURAL: first calling kids attention twice before singing "OH~" with the camera panning up to down (fig.1). That transition made by the Captain is clear cut and therefore very catchy. You can imagine it would be a great loss if Captain says other than "OH~".
transition.jpg
Connection is what seperate Spongebob OP from others, two unique scenes make the connection between the character and the viewer a two-way process: the Hans delivering Spongebob's clothes and the flute played by Spongebob at the end. The former break into the stage strightforwardly, meaning the hidden fourth wall between the viewer is removal by the author, whereas the latter breaks out the stage, playing the flute solo as if he expected we would loved to enjoy. With these two scenes (fig.2), Spongebob can jump beyond the one-way traditional storytelling patten and be more interactive and expressive, therefore leaving the unforgettable first impression on us again and again.
break_the_fourth_wall.jpg
Giving the analysis above, it is clear to see a better Spongebob OP should keep its connectivity embedded in it. Since the original OP has implemented it at a high level and runs for over 20+ years, it is unlikely for Nick to make a new one. But who knows? Thanks for reading!

Back