Should this episode come with a language warning?

Pete in Oz

Imitation Krab
Many seasons ago, an episode of SpongeBob Squarepants called "Sailor Mouth" was produced - clearly pointing out to viewers (in a highly comical way) that the gratuitous use of strong and inappropriate language can be offensive to many people.

I was therefore absolutely astonished to have my ears assailed in the season 7 episode "Whelk Attack" by the word "snot", uttered by the character of SpongeBob.

In disbelief I ran to Google and found the phrase used by SpongeBob, "whelk snot", in a transcript of the episode, so I assume at least one other person in the world heard it the same way I did!

I've got to say I'm amazed that the producers would consider this word acceptable for the show. It is used in a sentence to no particular comic effect, and could easily have been replaced by something similar such as "goo", or "slime" which was previously used in the episode. Where I come from the word "snot" is really revolting, highly distasteful, and most certainly not for polite or dinner table conversation.

I'm not entirely sure but I also believe I have heard the word "crap" on various occasions, another word I would consider unsuitable for the show.

Are standards in kids' TV really slipping this badly?

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
SpongeBob's never ever said "crap" on the show before. However, the word snot (although disgusting) isn't rude or anything, and I have seen worse than that, on many shows I've seen cartoon characters actually picking their nose, and you can actually see the snot coming out of it, not very pleasant to watch.

Pete in Oz

Imitation Krab
Thanks SBRoxMan...

One thing I never try and do is compare SpongeBob with any other show or cartoon, for me it is unique and in a class of its own. Sure, it has its gross moments but for the most part these are pretty harmless and along the lines of kiddy toilet or bodily function humor.

However SpongeBob SP is a cartoon with an extremely large audience and a very broad demographic - it's watched and adored by 4yos and 400yos - and therefore has a certain responsibility in terms of what is acceptable and what is not. To me, the word "snot" is borderline at best, and anything questionable should be considered very carefully by the producers before being included. I myself consider it a very offensive word and I never use it in everyday speech - I'm too worried the person I'm speaking to might throw up!

In the Whelk episode, I believe its use is out of the range of acceptability. It is used by SpongeBob to explain a serious plan of attack on probably the most terrifying invaders Bikini Bottom has ever seen (I was wondering throughout the episode what little kids would make of it - it's without doubt the scariest episode yet produced, with first minor then major characters being eaten... and no revelation about what has happened to them for quite some minutes!). I just don't think saying "snot" when you're trying to explain contingency plan is at all acceptable, even if you are SpongeBob!

I know opinions will differ on this, but my main point is - it's borderline/questionable language, so why include it given that some viewers won't find it acceptable?

hasfarr

your mom
Just remember that there have been few times that SpongeBob made fart jokes. Heck, I think the only time they did was in the "Fools in April" episode, where Mr. Krabs sat on a whoopie cushion.

Meanwhile, at Disney...

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
There was actually similar controversy in the SpongeBob Movie when he clearly said "freaking".
I had a similar experience about an inappropriate moment in SpongeBob. There are a few words in America that aren't bad at all, but can be extremely vulgar in England. In "Plankton's Army", Plankton said a word that I guess isn't so bad in some countries, but in England actually refers to an inappropriate body part, and I was very surprised that the scene didn't air in England edited or censored.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I don't understand. What is wrong with the word "snot"?

PS: Spongebob has never said the C word. Nickelodeon lets a lot of things fly (panty raid, anyone?), but there's no way they'd slip a swear word into a show aimed at 2-11 year olds. >_<

Pete in Oz

Imitation Krab
Maybe it's my advancing years, but from where I sit "snot" is no less a swear word than "crap". I use the dinner table as the yardstick. Crap, you would get away with because it's a synonym for rubbish, you don't immediately think of... brown stuff. Snot - there's only one meaning, and it's a highly distasteful one, and for a child would (and should!) earn you backhander.

The producers seem to have momentarily forgotten that what is *not* said is almost always funnier than what is. In the Whelk Attack episode, SpongeBob mentions that he once had a similar affliction (I can't remember whether he mentions 'suds'), and if he'd looked coy for a second and said 'suds' instead of 'snot' (knowing that *we* know what he means) it would still not have been uproariously funny but at least there would have been some humour there. Instead of that, the writers took the easy gross-out route.

I say again - when it went to air (and in "SpongeBob SquarePants" no less, which I previously thought had some standards) I couldn't believe my ears.

Pete in Oz

Imitation Krab
They're excretions of the human body which don't need to be mentioned in a coarse way in an entertainment environment, particular a family or kids' one. There are much more humorous ways of skirting around them - such as when SpongeBob or Patrick are busting for a leak - or the toilet comes staggering and gasping out of the bathroom after Patrick's been in there! These things are hilarious! If you *saw* the turd (or whatever it was) it would just be gross and not funny. The humor is in what is *not* said or shown.

The day anyone in SpongeBob says "piss" is the day I incinerate my SBSP DVD collection.

thedirtybubble

Floating Shopping List
I don't see anything wrong with "snot" being used on SpongeBob. That is in no way offensive. Now I agree with "piss" though. That has no business being used in SpongeBob.

Back