Search Engine Viruses?

Recently, these weird search-engines have been bombarding my computer. They're snap.do, searchnu.com/406, and babylon search. Apparently, they're all viruses. I was just wondering how to remove them, because the Control Panel hasn't done anything for me. 0_o Does anyone know how to remove these weird search engines?

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
I've been having a problem with a search engine, I was updating a Java program and it changed my Firefox and IE homepage and new tab pages to u-search.net. I removed all traces of the Java program and ran several malware/spyware programs but nothing. Turns out I had to go into about:config and reset the values which had been changed to u-search.net.

But now it keeps resetting them to u-search and I have to go back and reset the values. Ugh =/

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Yeah.. some of those can be pretty annoying, especially the Babylon one. You either need a program like ccleaner or malwarebytes to clean up some of it... or you'll have to remove it manually from the appdata folder, the program files, and the about:config for your browser like philip said.
Just google for how to remove those and I'm sure you'll find a good guide on how to remove the stuff.

Mavaxis Starburner

I love SBM
Yeah, I had to use a CNET installer to install some program and along with it, it forced me to install this phising search engine called Blekko Toolbar that took over my browser (I say it forced me because I unchecked "I agree" and continued but it still installed anyways) and now I pretty much hate CNET.

The only way I know how to fix it is to get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, run a quick scan of your hard drive, and delete all bad files found. When I scanned my comp, I found a lot of virus files embedded deep in my user cache and I removed them all. Then I downloaded Chrome's Website Blocker app, blocked Blekko, set Google back as my search engine, and now I'm good to go. The only trace left is that it still attempts to open a Blekko tab once Chrome starts, only to be cut off by the blocker app while loading.

Back