My Character Description of SpongeBob SquarePants

SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
I decided to make a detailed description of SpongeBob SquarePants as a character in my own words of what I think of him based on episodes and ect. This goes for his physical apperance and personality traits. Also, this goes for pre-movie AND post-movie, as well as the movie itself.

SpongeBob SquarePants is a cute, cuddly, yellow, well-dressed sea sponge who is optimistic, friendly, nice, happy, loyal, funny, hard-woking, outgoing, selfless, sweet, innocent, forgiving, and very good-natured, and loves to have fun and silly. In a variety of episodes, he is seen as fairly intelligent and very capable, even though his silliness and his naive and annoying traits cause him to seem less intelligent than he truly is. His best friend is Patrick Star, and he has many other friends that he claims to also be is best friend, such as his pet Gary, Sandy Cheeks, and Squidward Tentacles. SpongeBob does annoy others around him sometimes, even though he doesn't mean to be annoying, his happy and fun nature cause him to annoy others, mostly Squidward and his boating school teacher Mrs. Puff. All of the main and minor characters have at least on one point shown a liking to SpongeBob, which shows that he is an overall very likable person, and it's just his annoying traits that are what cause some of the characters to not like him at times, but when he is not annoying, he proves to be very likable and a good sponge to have as a friend or to talk to. SpongeBob is shown to be very exceptional at doing almost anything, such as jellyfishing, fry cooking, and singing, and he is shown to have a very large amount of awards. He also is very artistic, even more than Squidward, even though he is not entirely as interested in the arts as Squidward is. SpongeBob does sometimes act arrogant though, such as if someone is mocking or denying his skills, but that is if he gets really ticked off, and forced to be more competitive. One of his major flaws is his inability to drive successfully or get his driver's license. It is not because he doesn't know how to drive, it is because he is always pressured behind the wheel and can't concentrate. He does drive correctly when he is not pressured, such as how he is comfortable in driving a sandwhich rather than a boat. SpongeBob is nice to just about everyone, as he is a well-meaning person, but he does get angry when he irritated or dealing with someone else's, such as Patrick's, stupidity. Overall, SpongeBob SquarePants is an outstanding character on the inside and outside and is what gives the show its spectacular charm, and what makes SpongeBob SquarePants a very popular character and show towards all ages around the world. That is also the reason why I love this character very much and why I overall love the show.

-SpongyDevotee

Agree with me on anything?
Disagree with me on anything?
Post feedback below!
And have a nice, spongy day. :)

SpongeBob's character is designed to make the show popular with kids. That's why he's the main character. The show's uncanny talent at producing parental bonuses attracts older audience. That's why the show is so popular. A lot of kids came for the sponge, stays as they get older for the rest of the show.

I'll agree with you. After watching many episodes, I found SB to be a very endearing character. He has a good heart, good morals, a great job ethic, and tries to be the best friend possible - and when people do things he doesn't like, he tries to tell them so, but lets them talk their way out of it, unfortunately.

He goes out of his way for those he loves/cares for, and ultimately stays true to himself regardless of what others say or think.

He isn't smart, but he isn't dumb, and he definately has his limits - and I love those moments where he rips someone apart/when he's thoroughly ticked off and goes off on the one who crossed the lines.

But, with ought the unique group of characters to play off him, we wouldn't see all the fun sides of him.

You did seem to forget to mention about his design, BTW. ;-)

Edit: thought you were also going to talk about the artistic side.

I agree with you. What I like about SpongeBob is that he is outgoing, optimistic, sweet, innocent, and not to mention, forgiving. For example, he did not get mad at Squidward for reading his diary in LYB. It just shows how forgiving SpongeBob is (even though he had his diary published and it was his work diary).

SpongeBob's character is designed to make the show popular with kids. That's why he's the main character. The show's uncanny talent at producing parental bonuses attracts older audience. That's why the show is so popular. A lot of kids came for the sponge, stays as they get older for the rest of the show.
I'm not sure if I agree with you. I don't only like the show because of "parental bonuses", as I like so many other aspects of the show and I love SpongeBob's character even now and I always will. I don't think that only kids like SpongeBob's character or only watch the show because of him, and as I continue getting older, I will always love SpongeBob's character and the rest of the show too.

SpongeyKid said:
I agree with you 100% :)
Thanks, I'm glad you do. :)

Squidina said:
I'll agree with you. After watching many episodes, I found SB to be a very endearing character. He has a good heart, good morals, a great job ethic, and tries to be the best friend possible - and when people do things he doesn't like, he tries to tell them so, but lets them talk their way out of it, unfortunately.
He goes out of his way for those he loves/cares for, and ultimately stays true to himself regardless of what others say or think.
He isn't smart, but he isn't dumb, and he definately has his limits - and I love those moments where he rips someone apart/when he's thoroughly ticked off and goes off on the one who crossed the lines.
But, with ought the unique group of characters to play off him, we wouldn't see all the fun sides of him.
You did seem to forget to mention about his design, BTW. ;-)
Edit: thought you were also going to talk about the artistic side.
Yes, he definately is an endearing character with a good heart. As well as good morals amd a great job ethic. And he always tries to be the best friend possible.

And what do you mean by "when people do things he doesn't like, he tries to tell them so, but lets them talk their way out of it" because I don't really agree with you on that and I've never seen him doing something like that before.

He definately is selfless and he loves and cares for a lot of people, and he always does stay true to himself. But I liked how, in the episode Not Normal, he realized that Squidward is annoyed by his "not normal" behavior and then tries to be "normal" so Squidward wouldn't be so mad at him all the time.

And yes, SpongeBob is NOT DUMB! And to he honest, I think that he is pretty smart. I'm not saying that he is a brainy, sophisticated genius. I'm just saying that he is fairly intelligent most of the time, and like I said, very capable. He pretty much has normal intelligence, mixed in with naiveity, siliness, a best friend who is really dumb, ect. And he is a really hard worker at a lot of things, as well as being knowledgable at many things such as jellyfishing, for example. Also, he is seen to be good at math in several episodes including Squid's Day Off, Prehibernation Week, SpongeHenge, ect. Also, for boating school, he does not know how to drive because of pressure and recklessness and ect, but that doesn't mean that he is unintelligent. He is good at everything else in boating school, such as the actual information, as seen in episodes like Boating School, Driven To Tears, Oral Report, ect. Also, he had many Good Noodle Stars in New Student Starfish, he read that whole book and knew all the information in Nautical Novice, and he was pretty good at Sargeant Rodrick's training in Mrs. Puff You're Fired other than the actual driving itself (without a blind fold). He also seemed pretty enthusiastic to learn in the beginning of Procastination and The Bully. He also is seen to drive perfectly in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, Mrs. Puff You're Fired, The Hot Shot, Bumper To Bumper, ect.

But yeah, I also love when he gets ticked off at a character or just in general. It is completely hilarious to see him angry and this is definately one of my favorite sides of him that I like seeing. I love seeing him angry, to be honest. He usually does have good reasons to be angry when he is actually angry.

And yes, because of the many different characters, he see many different fun sides of SpongeBob. :)

I thought I kinda did talk about his design. For example, I said that he is cute and well-dressed. But I guess I could add more about his design. And yes, I should add more about his artistic side too. :)

Murvine Taylor said:
I agree with you. What I like about SpongeBob is that he is outgoing, optimistic, sweet, innocent, and not to mention, forgiving. For example, he did not get mad at Squidward for reading his diary in LYB. It just shows how forgiving SpongeBob is (even though he had his diary published and it was his work diary).
Thanks, he definately is outgoing, optimistic, sweet, innocent, and forgiving. <3 I should add all of that to the character description. And yes, that is also the reason why I like Little Yellow Book, and I love it that he is forgiving and even published his own diary!

SpongeBob for the most part is really optimistic about things but sometimes can be a little naive and fall for things but that doesn't make him stupid or braindead as you were saying. He does have his flaws occasionally like when he got all caught up in competition in "The Great Snail Race" and wanted to beat Squidward so badly in "Employee of the Month" to protect his title at the Krusty Krab so he also takes great pride in his work.

SpongyDevotee said:
Thanks, he definately is outgoing, optimistic, sweet, innocent, and forgiving. <3 I should add all of that to the character description. And yes, that is also the reason why I like Little Yellow Book, and I love it that he is forgiving and even published his own dairy!
Published his own dairy lel- That should be "diary" :)

SpongeBob for the most part is really optimistic about things but sometimes can be a little naive and fall for things but that doesn't make him stupid or braindead as you were saying. He does have his flaws occasionally like when he got all caught up in competition in "The Great Snail Race" and wanted to beat Squidward so badly in "Employee of the Month" to protect his title at the Krusty Krab so he also takes great pride in his work.

Yes, I love his optimism, and his naivety does sometimes go against him, but it sometimes just makes him more likable as a character. And thankfully, he isn't naive all the time, such as in Rock-a-Bye Bivalve. And no, he is NOT stupid or braindead AT ALL! And oh, I love it when he gets all competetive and arrogant, which is a unique trait that we see in him, and those episodes you mentioned were exaclty what I had in mind. And yes, he does take pride in his work.

Published his own dairy lel- That should be "diary" :)

Yes, I did make a typo. Haha. I fixed it though. Thanks for letting me know. :)

I agree completely! :) Spongebob is my favorite character as well because he's a nice, innocent, selfless person who considers everyone his friend and is willing to help them whenever they need it (unless they're doing something villainous). He's pretty much the PINKIE PIE of the show! XD

I agree completely! :) Spongebob is my favorite character as well because he's a nice, innocent, selfless person who considers everyone his friend and is willing to help them whenever they need it (unless they're doing something villainous). He's pretty much the PINKIE PIE of the show! XD
Thanks! ^_^ He is definately my favorite character of the show, and he's one of the reasons why I love this show so much. He also definately is really nice, innocent, and selfless, which are also some of the reasons why I love him so much, among other reasons. And not to mention, he's really cute, and I love anything cute. <3 And he does consider most people his friend, unless they are being evil, but he still tries to befriend them, such as to Plankton in F.U.N and many episodes after that, where he treats him like a friend unless he is trying to steal the Krabby Patty formula or anything like that, and Man Ray in Mermaidman and Barnacleboy III when he tried to make him good. But yeah, I agree with you. And comparing him to Pinkie Pie is kinda accurate, since I like her a lot too, and she is a very good-natured character. But I think it would be better to say that Pinkie Pie is the SPONGEBOB of My Little Pony. But yeah, I get your point. :)

I think he's got an inferiority/superiority complex.

It doesn't take much to drastically inflate or deflate his ego.

Back