Show News Is Derek Drymon coming back?

agarrisonofleaves

Baby Clam
Derek Drymon is going to be involved the 4th SpongeBob movie, "The Search for SquarePants". I don't think we have any news of him returning to work on the main show in the future.
One thing that’s worth mentioning is that the only movie Waller has been involved in was Sponge Out of Water.

Unless Waller is also involved in the production of Search for SquarePants it’s hard to decipher if he’s talking about the movie here.

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff
One thing that’s worth mentioning is that the only movie Waller has been involved in was Sponge Out of Water.

Unless Waller is also involved in the production of Search for SquarePants it’s hard to decipher if he’s talking about the movie here.
Well apparently the SB wiki also says that Drymon is going to be directing the movie, but I agree with you here, I don't really think there's any concrete evidence of his involvement in the movie yet.

agarrisonofleaves

Baby Clam
I interpreted Vincent Waller’s tweet as meaning that either Waller and Ceccarelli (or Nickelodeon) are considering hiring him back for the show after he’s finished with the movie, or Drymon is considering coming back (or both?).
Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. It doesn’t make sense that Waller would mention Drymon like this if neither he or Ceccarelli are actually involved in the movie’s production.

agarrisonofleaves

Baby Clam
I wouldn't be surprised, but don't expect him to be in his original position on the show.

He would probably be a writer, which if that's the case would be good news for Pre Movie (& some Post Sequal mostly 9b) fans.
Of course.

It’ll be interesting to see him working under Waller & Ceccarelli, since they have a much different vision for the show compared to Hillenburg.

Maybe it’d be like when Drymon was an executive producer for Adventure Time’s first season under Pendleton Ward.

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
122 Conch Street, Bikini Bottom (or Pennsylvania)
Of course.

It’ll be interesting to see him working under Waller & Ceccarelli, since they have a much different vision for the show compared to Hillenburg.
No offense to the executives if they see this - but there's probably going to be creative differences between Drymon and Waller & Ceccarelli...

agarrisonofleaves

Baby Clam
No offense to the executives if they see this - but there's probably going to be creative differences between Drymon and Waller & Ceccarelli...
I’m sure Waller is aware of this.

He’d written three episodes of Season 1 while working under Drymon, and also filled in for him as the creative director for the entirety of the Post Movie era.

Not only that, but he also engages with the fanbase over on his Twitter and seems to acknowledge that people really love seeing callbacks to the pre-movie era.

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
I’m sure Waller is aware of this.

He’d written three episodes of Season 1 while working under Drymon, and also filled in for him as the creative director for the entirety of the Post Movie era.

Not only that, but he also engages with the fanbase over on his Twitter and seems to acknowledge that people really love seeing callbacks to the pre-movie era.
You know, I wonder how different SpongeBob would have been had if Vincent decided to stay on SpongeBob for the next season instead of going back to Spumco after he finished his Season 1 episodes...

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
@agarrisonofleaves

Besides that question, I'm pretty sure that when Derek Drymon comes back - Vincent would probably accommodate him to the very different work environment that SpongeBob now has compared to when Derek (or even Vincent for that matter) working environment in Pre-Movie.

After all, Vincent Waller probably would relate considering he came back to work on SpongeBob in Season 4.

agarrisonofleaves

Baby Clam
You know, I wonder how different SpongeBob would have been had if Vincent decided to stay on SpongeBob for the next season instead of going back to Spumco after he finished his Season 1 episodes...
Hillenburg and Drymon were both calling the shots back then, so I’m sure they would have accommodated Waller to their work environment.

agarrisonofleaves

Baby Clam
@agarrisonofleaves

Besides that question, I'm pretty sure that when Derek Drymon comes back - Vincent would probably accommodate him to the very different work environment that SpongeBob now has compared to when Derek (or even Vincent for that matter) working environment in Pre-Movie.

After all, Vincent Waller probably would relate considering he came back to work on SpongeBob in Season 4.
Especially since SpongeBob has predominantly been a script-driven show since 2015

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Scary Mustache Guy
Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. It doesn’t make sense that Waller would mention Drymon like this if neither he or Ceccarelli are actually involved in the movie’s production.
With Hillenburg gone, I'm sure Waller and Ceccarelli have at least a consulting role on the movie since they are now in charge of the SpongeBob franchise as a whole (as I understand it). They will probably be credited on the movie as executive producers.

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Scary Mustache Guy
The show will change for sure with Drymon involved, but I don't think it'll change a lot unless he becomes showrunner #3 or something. I noticed that of the SpongeBob comics in the 3 collections I have, Drymon's were the cartooniest. If you see the SpongeBob art Drymon posts on Instagram, it's quite loose and bendy, like new SpongeBob tends to be. I think Drymon could do quite well under Waller and Ceccarelli's direction.

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
The show will change for sure with Drymon involved, but I don't think it'll change a lot unless he becomes showrunner #3 or something. I noticed that of the SpongeBob comics in the 3 collections I have, Drymon's were the cartooniest. If you see the SpongeBob art Drymon posts on Instagram, it's quite loose and bendy, like new SpongeBob tends to be. I think Drymon could do quite well under Waller and Ceccarelli's direction.
What you said about Drymon's art style reminded me of that "Cheap Walkcycle" bit from the lost episode special.

Back