Graphing the Production Sequence from S1-S3

SandyLovesPainting

Imitation Krab
Favorite Character
Sandy Cheeks
As @TiredandFeathered stated in "Production code thread", that code tells the making sequence (If it does so). Therefore I use Python to make a scatter plot from S1-S3 according to his data, thanks a lot! Each point corresponds to the episode with respect to its Episode No. and its Production Code.
Overview :
S1-S3.PNG

S1: With total 41 episode (except 0 is the theme song)., there is a pattern about one "new" episode followed by "old" ones alternatively.
S1.PNG
S2: Ordinary from the beginning and less at the end, since the variance is getting bigger. In fact, some episode made in season 2 were shifted to season 3 for unknown reasons.
S2.PNG

S3: Very similar to S1. Noted that all 3 Specials (Colored in red) were both made nearly at the same time, which implys the workload of the crew is un-imaginablely high.
S3.PNG

Additionally, S4 has the smoothest curve ever:
S4.PNG
Observation and Conclusion:
S1 is highly schuffle. The crew made lots episodes in advance
S2 is highly organized. The crew making new episodes at a steady rate
S3 is S1 and S2 combined. The crew must be very tired.
S4 is S2 envloved. Maybe the crew has a tight schedule.

Last edited:
S4 is S2 envloved. Maybe the crew has a tight schedule.
season 4 aside from 6 and 7 and 9 has one of the more messy bts with a lot of writers stepping out, while stephen hillenburg never left he just had a very small role, a lot of new and old writers coming back, which made the episodes more different and more feeling focused like patrick smartpants or have you seen this snail

season 4 aside from 6 and 7 and 9 has one of the more messy bts with a lot of writers stepping out.
You are right, a lot had happened since S4. In fact the S5 graph is a bit like S3, which is a mixture of ordinary and chaos. From the production code of Atlantis Squarepantis, it's likely the crew had took more efforts to made. To be honest, I had to spent some time watching S4 and later episode to grasp what's going on actually, not to be affected by "Only S1 to S3 are best" statement or so.
S5.PNG
Note: the 185th Episode Night Light (082b) was made in S4, and therefore had a "negative" production code.

Last edited:
You are right, a lot had happened since S4. In fact the S5 graph is a bit like S3, which is a mixture of ordinary and chaos. From the production code of Atlantis Squarepantis, it's likely the crew had took more efforts to made. To be honest, I had to spent some time watching S4 and later episode to grasp what's going on actually, not to be affected by "Only S1 to S3 are best" statement or so.
View attachment 22309
Note: the 185th Episode Night Light (082b) was made in S4, and therefore had a "negative" production code.
Looking at both charts of season 4 and 5 night light was supposed to be the sister episode to the gift of gum but has to be moved to season 5 due to best day ever either being there because of the marathon or because they just didn’t have time

Btw the season 6 and 7 charts will be messy since those seasons were rushed due to the network rushing out more episodes and why the seasons were as bad as they turned out the way they did as I hear form some sources

This is cool stuff. I'm interested in seasons after this and especially seasons 9-present, they have scrapped episodes, moved production numbers, and very weird ordering

@TiredandFeathered Here are the result for S6-S13. From the overall shape we can proof your guess that S12 is the weridest, and so is S9. It is interesting to see the pattern changes differently during each season. Since I haven't watched newer episode since S6, I'm not going marking some episode as S1-S4 did.
S6-S9.PNG
S10-S13.PNG
I manually did this mapping from S1-S5, and start to write codes since S6. Here's the code in Jupyter notebook containing all the information to generate the graph from S1-S13. Try it or leave a comment if you have any ideas.

Attachments

Last edited:
@TiredandFeathered Here are the result for S6-S13. From the overall shape we can proof your guess that S12 is the weridest, and so is S9. It is interesting to see the pattern changes differently during each season. Since I haven't watched newer episode since S6, I'm not going marking some episode as S1-S4 did.
View attachment 22335
View attachment 22336
I manually did this mapping from S1-S5, and start to write codes since S6. Here's the code in Jupyter notebook containing all the information to generate the graph from S1-S13. Try it or leave a comment if you have any ideas.
Man only if I could see what episodes peaked because I am very lost

Man only if I could see what episodes peaked because I am very lost
S6-S9.PNG

S10-S13.PNG

Here is the annotation version, note red word means this is a special, which often comes in 2 or more production codes. Here I choose the smallest one instead of showing them all.

Last edited:
Back