Can SpongeBob have incarnations when the main series ends?

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
Like several remakes to keep the franchise alive...Like Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Pink Panther, Mickey Mouse, etc...

I was thinking that it would be a good idea if they made 2 spin offs for when the main show ends (which hopefully won't be anytime soon, whew) :sweat: . One show for Nickelodeon & NickToons (not to be burned off to) and one for Nick Jr., to prove to those over-protective parents that SpongeBob CAN be educational, without stepping down to Dora's level (Don't get me wrong I like Dora, but not as much as SpongeBob). :gleam:

Anything could happen at this point because SpongeBob is still popular, and with the new movie is on the way, as well as a positive outlook, the future looks BRIGHT for SpongeBob!!! :clapping: ;D
:solute:

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
I don't think Nick wants to make the same mistake again, like they did with All Grown Up for Rugrats. Who knows though? They did it with Jimmy Neutron... so maybe. Then again, that was a mistake too. I think it could get a spin-off... a good spin-off though? And the thing is, SpongeBob can be top of the line right now, but what about next year? It can only take a couple years for ratings to start declining and it's possible it could start declining fast. It's happened before with other Nickelodeon shows. The future could look bright right now, but things could take a turn for the worst after the movie. I don't know. I think SpongeBob should live on though, as should the other Nicktoons.

hfjs

BubbleBud said:
I don't think Nick wants to make the same mistake again, like they did with All Grown Up for Rugrats. Who knows though? They did it with Jimmy Neutron... so maybe. Then again, that was a mistake too. I think it could get a spin-off... a good spin-off though? And the thing is, SpongeBob can be top of the line right now, but what about next year? It can only take a couple years for ratings to start declining and it's possible it could start declining fast. It's happened before with other Nickelodeon shows. The future could look bright right now, but things could take a turn for the worst after the movie. I don't know. I think SpongeBob should live on though, as should the other Nicktoons.
You have a really strong point, I agree with you.

Spongeo

Professional Mayo Player
It will be bad if they bring back SB like they did with other nicktoons it will be terrible and will run only for a short time.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
It would have to be a really good spin-off though, and I wouldn't see that gaining the popularity the original series has.
It'd be better to possibly make a 4 or 5 episode miniseries, rather than an actual spin-off show

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
I'mma just repost what I've said in the past:

Honestly, I don't think Spongebob is a type of show that can really be revived like Scooby-Doo or Tom And Jerry, despite the fact that it's humor is about on-par with those cartoons. My reasoning? Scooby-Doo is a show about teenagers with quirky personalities that go around solving mysteries. That's it. Any reboot can take any character, put them anywhere, make them do pretty much anything, but as long as it's teens going around solving mysteries, it's still Scooby-Doo.

Tom And Jerry boils down to a cat chasing a mouse and failing. They can have Tom And Jerry be aliens trying to stop an evil dictator from the planet Leela, but at the end of the day, if Tom is still trying (and failing) to eat Jerry, it'll still be Tom And Jerry. But, for Spongebob, what can you really do? Spongebob has too many restrictive things that make him Spongebob. The underwater setting. The hawaiian/APM music. The characters. The Krusty Krab, The Treedome, Jellyfish fields? Any reboot can't take that stuff away, or it's not Spongebob anymore.

Take for example, Rugrats. The main draw? They're babies getting into relatable situations! They're juxtaposed as adults at times, too! The series got continually worse, and then there was All Grown Up, which took away the main draw. They're not babies juxtaposed as adults anymore; they're angst filled teens! People watched the 1st episode, if just to see how the Rugrats were as teens. After that, the series pretty much stuttered out and failed.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. If there was a way to re-incorporate Spongebob, it couldn't really work without taking away Spongebob's multiple draws. Spongebob has a set setting and tampering with that makes him not Spongebob anymore. If you change the tone or characters or places, you've taken away what makes SpongeBob....Well, SpongeBob. Even focusing on another character would feel too similar to the original show.

Cha

I love SBM
Squids Who Cry

Would be the biggest troll to all you Squillard and IM CUTE LOL haters. <3
Oh my gash, you know Nasty, you and myself should have a Squidward, Squilliam and Squidly avatar. I'll take Squidly.

Unlimitedcha said:
Oh my gash, you know Nasty, you and myself should have a Squidward, Squilliam and Squidly avatar. I'll take Squidly.
Can I do signature? :P

I plan to keep this current avater forever lol

Cha

I love SBM
E.V.I.L said:
Can I do signature? :p

I plan to keep this current avater forever lol
Sure I will make them :jester:

bookgirl

Read a book
A spin off isn't a great idea but if there was it would be either a show about Mr. Krabs and his cheapness or about Patrick because he's an idiot.

If they ever did decide to make a SpongeBob spin-off, I wouldn't really be fond of it. It'd probably be really bad, like most spinoffs, unless they can find a way to make it good.

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
I assume you mean a spin-off. No, like Jibbix said, the shows humor can't just be replicated or recycled onto another show. The shows' basis and premise are just too brilliant to even bother tampering with. And as much as we SpongeBob fans want it, I'd think we'd all agree that the show should just run its course and become one with network history.

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
Jibbix said:
I'mma just repost what I've said in the past:

Honestly, I don't think Spongebob is a type of show that can really be revived like Scooby-Doo or Tom And Jerry, despite the fact that it's humor is about on-par with those cartoons. My reasoning? Scooby-Doo is a show about teenagers with quirky personalities that go around solving mysteries. That's it. Any reboot can take any character, put them anywhere, make them do pretty much anything, but as long as it's teens going around solving mysteries, it's still Scooby-Doo.

Tom And Jerry boils down to a cat chasing a mouse and failing. They can have Tom And Jerry be aliens trying to stop an evil dictator from the planet Leela, but at the end of the day, if Tom is still trying (and failing) to eat Jerry, it'll still be Tom And Jerry. But, for Spongebob, what can you really do? Spongebob has too many restrictive things that make him Spongebob. The underwater setting. The hawaiian/APM music. The characters. The Krusty Krab, The Treedome, Jellyfish fields? Any reboot can't take that stuff away, or it's not Spongebob anymore.

Take for example, Rugrats. The main draw? They're babies getting into relatable situations! They're juxtaposed as adults at times, too! The series got continually worse, and then there was All Grown Up, which took away the main draw. They're not babies juxtaposed as adults anymore; they're angst filled teens! People watched the 1st episode, if just to see how the Rugrats were as teens. After that, the series pretty much stuttered out and failed.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. If there was a way to re-incorporate Spongebob, it couldn't really work without taking away Spongebob's multiple draws. Spongebob has a set setting and tampering with that makes him not Spongebob anymore. If you change the tone or characters or places, you've taken away what makes SpongeBob....Well, SpongeBob. Even focusing on another character would feel too similar to the original show.
I guess so...but what if they kept all the characters and main draws in both shows? And added a few new characters? I was thinking the shows could be called:

-SpongeBob SquarePants And Friends (Nick Jr.)
-SpongeBob SquarePants: The New Adventures (Nick)

So maybe not spin offs just yet, but an "incarnation," like "What's New Scooby Doo" or "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" or even something like "The Looney Tunes Show." Anything can happen you guys.

DadMom AngryPants said:
I wouldn't like a spin-off. They're rarely as good as the original show.
I guess so...But what about an "incarnation?"

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
The "incarnations" you mentioned are perfect examples of why I don't want SpongeBob to continue on in new ways.What's New Scooby Doo strayed FAR too close to the Scooby Doo formula and suffers as a result, and The Looney Tunes Show strays much too far away from what the core of the Looney Tunes are (at least, Season 1 does). If you're going to continue a show like Scooby Doo is continued, you have to maintain a balance of old elements and new fresh ones while maintaining a similar tone. You keep it too similar, there's not really a point in a new incarnation- that's boring. If it's too different, you might as well make an original show. I feel that people just wouldn't be able to get the balance right.

Post Movie is the closest to a new incarnation you'll get. It's different, but keeps things similar enough (perhaps too samey for a new incarnation) but if SpongeBob had ended after Season 4, would you really want to see a new incarnation with Season 5 through 7 episodes? There's just not enough incentive. Any new spin you could put on Spongebob would change the shows core too much. A new incarnation would tread too much of the old ground and be pointless.

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
Jibbix said:
The "incarnations" you mentioned are perfect examples of why I don't want SpongeBob to continue on in new ways.What's New Scooby Doo strayed FAR too close to the Scooby Doo formula and suffers as a result, and The Looney Tunes Show strays much too far away from what the core of the Looney Tunes are (at least, Season 1 does). If you're going to continue a show like Scooby Doo is continued, you have to maintain a balance of old elements and new fresh ones while maintaining a similar tone. You keep it too similar, there's not really a point in a new incarnation- that's boring. If it's too different, you might as well make an original show. I feel that people just wouldn't be able to get the balance right.

Post Movie is the closest to a new incarnation you'll get. It's different, but keeps things similar enough (perhaps too samey for a new incarnation) but if SpongeBob had ended after Season 4, would you really want to see a new incarnation with Season 5 through 7 episodes? There's just not enough incentive. Any new spin you could put on Spongebob would change the shows core too much. A new incarnation would tread too much of the old ground and be pointless.
Yes, but we don't have any control over that. Nick, Viacom and Paramount may demand to continue SpongeBob when the main show ends and Hillenburg may say okay to create a new series. I actually think that an incarnation would be more successful than a spin off because it would have SpongeBob (the most successful NickToon character) in it. ;]

We'll just have to wait and see. But so far the future looks bright for :solute: .

TheOneAndOnly543

Floating Shopping List
SpongeRoadie UK said:
That IS SpongeBob.
True, but Hillenburg and the writers could give them new ideas to the show...like SpongeBob being an actual superhero most of the time or something...Or maybe even an Anime series (The Powerpuff Girls had one). =]

You never know if that would happen or not. We'll just have to wait and see. ;] ;D

Back