286a. Hot Crossed Nuts

I kinda thought this episode was kinda stupid when I initially watched it, mainly due to the fast pace and .. well .. jokes, but on rewatch, Sandy sticking up for SpongeBob after he gets abandoned for Sandy's new BBQ nuts was actually pretty neat characterization. Also the episode's title speaks for the humor, I don't think there are any actual gags (beside the characters having burning mouths, I guess) just the characters saying they like/hate nuts, which is honestly hilarious, and this was probably on purpose, especially considering they could've been called acorns. 7.5/10, if it had some more substance (I mean the characters literally eat the Krusty Krab at the end) maybe an 8/10, but still very good episode

I really liked the concept of Sandy working with SpongeBob in the kitchen. We've seen them work together very briefly at the end of Karate Choppers but never a whole episode. I really liked it up until when it became another "new menu item overtakes Krabby Patties" story. We've seen that plenty of times before, but at this point it's hard to not re-use old concepts when the series has been going on so long. Everyone eating the Krusty Krab wasn't really funny. But the concept and the first 7-8 minutes are pretty good.

7.5/10

So like, was SpongeBob just going to give Sandy that meal at the start without her even ordering the thing? Okay then.

This episode was just kinda average. The idea is alright, but the execution is pretty much the same as previous episodes like Krusty Dogs. It starts out as a new product that SpongeBob is happy to add to the menu, then it replaces the Krabby Patty, SpongeBob gets sad as the customers want nothing other than the new product and they bring back Krabby Patties when the new product just doesn't work anymore. In fact, they even have the same style of humor, only with this one using admittedly more subtle jokes with the word "Nuts" instead of the word "Wiener". The episode doesn't do anything that we haven't already seen before (they even did this sort of story with Sandy in "Sandy's Nutmare"), and it wasn't really funny (I personally didn't find the whole fire burping thing to be funny), but the episode wasn't awful. There wasn't really anything frustrating here, and the story was fairly decent - it just was just bland.

I thought Sandy was a bit off in this episode. It took almost no effort from Krabs to get her to take the job, and it took hardly anything for her to stand up to Mr. Krabs at the end. It was also weird for Krabs to just go with the flow and accept that the patties would be given away for free at the end. Obviously he doesn't seem happy about it, but he doesn't seem to mind it either, he just lets it happen and doesn't even try to stop it. And I've gotta say, the ending felt undeserved. Obviously SpongeBob was going to get upset over the patties being thrown away but I can't say that Krabs really deserved to get a comeuppance for that. The patties weren't selling, so it's not like it was wrong to get rid of them. And while I appreciate Sandy sticking up for her friend, Krabs wasn't really being a heartless monster here, he was just trying to sell the nuts. We get the fairly typical ending with the customers wanting Krabby Patties again, which is an obvious choice but not a terrible way to end the story.

I'll give it a 6/10. It was a pretty average episode with not much to enjoy, but it was a decent watch from start to finish and I think that's at least a step up from a lot of recent episodes.

The best part of the episode was that Krabs changed the name of the restaurant to Krab's Nut Shack. Not because of the context in the story but because SpongeBob canonically used the phrase "Nut Shack"

There are the small flaws in the story structure that are in almost every Danny Giovannini episode, although they're not as pronounced here. Pretty solid episode, not as good as 285 though.

So I didn’t actually talk about this when reviewing that episode, but “Arbor Day Disarray” was a bit of a bust when it comes to it being actually about Sandy. With the title of “Hot Crossed Nuts”, I’m hopeful that this episode might be able to fix that? I hope? Please? There’s been so little of Sandy this season, it’s upsetting.

Okay I have to ask, why is Sandy even at the Krusty Krab if she has no plans to eat there? I mean, I guess she did take the drink. But she gotta know that if Mr. Krabs were to catch wind of this, he’d be madder than a mf. But I also suppose that Sandy fears no Krab, not one bit. Anyway, let’s put this musing aside and focus on the plot at hand. Sandy manages to tempt SpongeBob into trying one of her barbecue nuts, and clearly they’re very good. Mr. Krabs does eventually find out about the nuts, and he freaks out as expected. I like how dramatic SpongeBob is about this, especially in the face of Sandy’s uncaring attitude. And then I love this bit with Mr. Krabs taking Sandy’s food and tasting it off-screen (kind of off-screen, at least). It leaves much to the imagination.

Mr. Krabs loves the nuts so much, he instantly hires Sandy without her ever applying for a job. Run Sandy, run like the wind! Nah, but I’m really liking where this episode is going so far. I feel like out of all the main characters, Sandy tends to be the one most removed from Krusty Krab plots, so it’s nice to see her involved in one for once. And not in a science way, as she tends to be when she’s featured in a Krusty Krab episode. SpongeBob being his little weirdo self about the Krusty Krab is really funny, and it wins Sandy over. We all know that no one is immune to SpongeBob’s charms. I’m taking this to mean that, if this show has any continuity at all, this episode takes place before ones like “Shopping List” and “Surf N’ Turf”, though.

SpongeBob shows Sandy around the kitchen, and we’re shown some very unsubtle foreshadowing of what’s to come. That’s not a dig, simply an observation. I don’t mind when story beats are more like a brick than a pillow, if you know what I mean. SpongeBob manages to get the word out about Sandy’s smokin’ barbecue nuts (mostly through Bubble Bass’s sponsorship lol). At first, of course, SpongeBob and Sandy work like a well-oiled machine.

Because demand for the barbecue nuts are so high, Mr. Krabs decides its time to increase supply, so he gets a bunch more barbecue grills…and encroaches on SpongeBob’s sacred grill space. Ah, just as expected. Though it was a toss-up as to whether the encroachment would be initiated by Sandy or Mr. Krabs, so there was an element of…surprise here. Couldn’t think of a better word. Uncertainty? Anyway, I like that SpongeBob’s first thought is that Sandy might be overwhelmed, but he shouldn’t be worried, Sandy’s the grillmaster. After that, we see him struggle trying to cook the one Krabby Patty that’s been ordered. Man, the people of Bikini Bottom go crazy over new foods, considering we’ve had this sort of plot a couple times now. But honestly, it never gets old, as long as it’s done well. And I like how this episode is doing it. It can be fun seeing SpongeBob be a jealous little gremlin, but it’s also just nice sometimes to see him be more chill about things like this. I also like the visual storytelling in the barbecue grills becoming the new sacred space of the Krusty Krab.

Speaking of visuals, I like the way the Krusty Krab morphs into this saloon-like place—Kowboy Krab’s Nut Shack. I almost wish they took notes from “The Cent Of Money” for it. And we see that the kitchen’s been entirely converted to a barbecue grill area. SpongeBob ends up falling out of the kitchen due to a series of entertaining events, and he’s clearly a washed up version of himself. Mr. Krabs and Sandy discover him laying among the garbage. Where Sandy appears to be concerned, Mr. Krabs is…not so kind. And then SpongeBob starts crying in a garbage can, which is both as funny as it is sad lol. This scene reminds me a lot of “Karate Choppers”. And when Mr. Krabs tells Sandy to get back to work, we can see that she’s steaming. Ooh, we about to get something satisfying happen, aren’t we?

I guess not quite yet, as we cut to Mr. Krabs sitting among his money. But it’s gonna happen. And how. Cuz soon it’s revealed that Sandy’s stopped barbecuing because she’s “out” (read: she threw them all in the garbage disposal) of nuts. Such a shame. That’s my girl! Sandy then quits, as she should. So then all the customers riot. What is with the Bikini Bottomites and being unbelievably entitled??? They then start eating the Krusty Krab because it’s all filled with smoky flavor. That’s…alright lol. Why don’t they just smoke some Krabby Patties?? Like good lord. And then everyone rediscovers the Krabby Patties. Which gets SpongeBob out of his funk at least. I love how when Mr. Krabs tries to do his usual profiteering ending, Sandy puts a stop to that real quick, and has SpongeBob give the patties away for free. Good. This is a great subversion of expectation.

“Hot Crossed Nuts” was a pretty fun episode. I’m torn between being happy that Sandy didn’t end up becoming a jerkwad, but also being a little peeved that they can never write her character with anything beyond shallowness. That’s why Sandy is so rarely perceived with flaws, because misogyny. But, I do like to see Sandy be a queen so I don’t care too much, it’s just the principal of the thing. Anyway, that aside, this episode was funny and a good watch, nothing else to it. I’m just glad to finally get some Sandy focus. Keep it coming!

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.1/10

So I didn’t actually talk about this when reviewing that episode, but “Arbor Day Disarray” was a bit of a bust when it comes to it being actually about Sandy. With the title of “Hot Crossed Nuts”, I’m hopeful that this episode might be able to fix that? I hope? Please? There’s been so little of Sandy this season, it’s upsetting.

Okay I have to ask, why is Sandy even at the Krusty Krab if she has no plans to eat there? I mean, I guess she did take the drink. But she gotta know that if Mr. Krabs were to catch wind of this, he’d be madder than a mf. But I also suppose that Sandy fears no Krab, not one bit. Anyway, let’s put this musing aside and focus on the plot at hand. Sandy manages to tempt SpongeBob into trying one of her barbecue nuts, and clearly they’re very good. Mr. Krabs does eventually find out about the nuts, and he freaks out as expected. I like how dramatic SpongeBob is about this, especially in the face of Sandy’s uncaring attitude. And then I love this bit with Mr. Krabs taking Sandy’s food and tasting it off-screen (kind of off-screen, at least). It leaves much to the imagination.

Mr. Krabs loves the nuts so much, he instantly hires Sandy without her ever applying for a job. Run Sandy, run like the wind! Nah, but I’m really liking where this episode is going so far. I feel like out of all the main characters, Sandy tends to be the one most removed from Krusty Krab plots, so it’s nice to see her involved in one for once. And not in a science way, as she tends to be when she’s featured in a Krusty Krab episode. SpongeBob being his little weirdo self about the Krusty Krab is really funny, and it wins Sandy over. We all know that no one is immune to SpongeBob’s charms. I’m taking this to mean that, if this show has any continuity at all, this episode takes place before ones like “Shopping List” and “Surf N’ Turf”, though.

SpongeBob shows Sandy around the kitchen, and we’re shown some very unsubtle foreshadowing of what’s to come. That’s not a dig, simply an observation. I don’t mind when story beats are more like a brick than a pillow, if you know what I mean. SpongeBob manages to get the word out about Sandy’s smokin’ barbecue nuts (mostly through Bubble Bass’s sponsorship lol). At first, of course, SpongeBob and Sandy work like a well-oiled machine.

Because demand for the barbecue nuts are so high, Mr. Krabs decides its time to increase supply, so he gets a bunch more barbecue grills…and encroaches on SpongeBob’s sacred grill space. Ah, just as expected. Though it was a toss-up as to whether the encroachment would be initiated by Sandy or Mr. Krabs, so there was an element of…surprise here. Couldn’t think of a better word. Uncertainty? Anyway, I like that SpongeBob’s first thought is that Sandy might be overwhelmed, but he shouldn’t be worried, Sandy’s the grillmaster. After that, we see him struggle trying to cook the one Krabby Patty that’s been ordered. Man, the people of Bikini Bottom go crazy over new foods, considering we’ve had this sort of plot a couple times now. But honestly, it never gets old, as long as it’s done well. And I like how this episode is doing it. It can be fun seeing SpongeBob be a jealous little gremlin, but it’s also just nice sometimes to see him be more chill about things like this. I also like the visual storytelling in the barbecue grills becoming the new sacred space of the Krusty Krab.

Speaking of visuals, I like the way the Krusty Krab morphs into this saloon-like place—Kowboy Krab’s Nut Shack. I almost wish they took notes from “The Cent Of Money” for it. And we see that the kitchen’s been entirely converted to a barbecue grill area. SpongeBob ends up falling out of the kitchen due to a series of entertaining events, and he’s clearly a washed up version of himself. Mr. Krabs and Sandy discover him laying among the garbage. Where Sandy appears to be concerned, Mr. Krabs is…not so kind. And then SpongeBob starts crying in a garbage can, which is both as funny as it is sad lol. This scene reminds me a lot of “Karate Choppers”. And when Mr. Krabs tells Sandy to get back to work, we can see that she’s steaming. Ooh, we about to get something satisfying happen, aren’t we?

I guess not quite yet, as we cut to Mr. Krabs sitting among his money. But it’s gonna happen. And how. Cuz soon it’s revealed that Sandy’s stopped barbecuing because she’s “out” (read: she threw them all in the garbage disposal) of nuts. Such a shame. That’s my girl! Sandy then quits, as she should. So then all the customers riot. What is with the Bikini Bottomites and being unbelievably entitled??? They then start eating the Krusty Krab because it’s all filled with smoky flavor. That’s…alright lol. Why don’t they just smoke some Krabby Patties?? Like good lord. And then everyone rediscovers the Krabby Patties. Which gets SpongeBob out of his funk at least. I love how when Mr. Krabs tries to do his usual profiteering ending, Sandy puts a stop to that real quick, and has SpongeBob give the patties away for free. Good. This is a great subversion of expectation.

“Hot Crossed Nuts” was a pretty fun episode. I’m torn between being happy that Sandy didn’t end up becoming a jerkwad, but also being a little peeved that they can never write her character with anything beyond shallowness. That’s why Sandy is so rarely perceived with flaws, because misogyny. But, I do like to see Sandy be a queen so I don’t care too much, it’s just the principal of the thing. Anyway, that aside, this episode was funny and a good watch, nothing else to it. I’m just glad to finally get some Sandy focus. Keep it coming!

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.1/10
I really don't know how I didn't contact here but I can't wait to find out what you think of Sir Urchin and Snail Fail because I love that episode

its just kind of a ripoff of sandy's Nutmare but its not all divoid of quality
  1. Salty Sponge (10/10)
  2. Delivery To Monster Island (10/10)
  3. Welcome To Binary Bottom (10/10)
  4. The Flower Pot (10/10)
  5. C.H.U.M.S (9.5/10)
  6. Ma And Pa's Big Hurrah (9.5/10)
  7. SpongeBob on parade (9.5/10)
  8. Yellow Pavement (9.5/10)
  9. Patrick The Mailman (9.5/10)
  10. Karen For Spot (9.5/10)
  11. Say Aww! (9.5/10)
  12. Goofy Scoopers (9/10)
  13. Food PBFFT! Truck (8.5/10)
  14. Abandon Twits (8.5/10)
  15. A Place For Pets (8/10)
  16. Hot Crossed Nuts (8/10)
  17. Squidferatu (8/10)
  18. Big Bad Bubble Bass (8/10)
  19. Under The Small Top (8/10)
  20. Squidward's Sick Daze (7.5/10)
  21. Sea Man Sponge Haters Club (7.5/10)
  22. Ain't That The Tooth (7.5/10)
  23. Spongebob's Road To Christmas (7.5/10)
  24. Walhalla (7.5/10)
  25. You're Going To Pay Phone (7.5/10)
  26. Arbor Day Dissarray (7/10)
  27. Potato Puff (7/10)
  28. Pat The Dog (6.5/10)
  29. Ride Patrick Ride (6.5/10)
  30. Skin Wrinkle in time (6.5/10)
  31. Captain Pipsqueak (5.5/10)
  32. Lockdown For Love (5.5/10)
  33. Slappy Daze (5.5/10)
  34. Plane To Sea (3.5/10)
  35. There Will Be Grease (3/10)
  36. Upturn Girls (3/10)
  37. Something Narwhal This Way Comes (0/10)

Back