242b. Gary & Spot

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff

It was in the FarmerBob credits. Will open the topic back up when we know it will air. :)

Plot: Sandy narrates the nocturnal adventures of Gary and his secret pal, Spot.

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I feel like they could've done more with the premise of Gary and Spot being together, but it's alright.

Eh Episode (6/10)

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
I thought it was a great episode with some old music making a return.

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
NEW OPINION:

This was better on rewatch. It's not very funny but the plot is really interesting. The dynamics between Gary & Spot are really cool and the ending does give a good feeling to me. It's a nice episode, showing that not all good episodes need to be funny.

Rating: Good

Snails

Floating Shopping List
This is one of the few episodes of season 12 I really despise. While I wouldn't even put it in the bottom 5 I really dislike this all over the place and weird episode. I can see how people like it but I give it a 0.5/10.

Pstar

A helicopter (formerly an idiot)
I think that the sandy narration is unnecessary but since spot is one of my favorite characters 8.5/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this one! Sandy narrating the episode was neat. And its kinda cute

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Gary & Spot (Great)
FarmerBob (Good)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Somebody in that creative team did this for me! So y’all know I love Gary. And y’all know I love when this show has a little bit of continuity. And y’all know I love when new characters interact. So what happens when you put all of this together? Well, you get “Gary & Spot”.

This episode uses the random narrator format like “Patnocchio”, which is interesting. I don’t know why Sandy is the narrator here, but you know what, I’m cool with it. Seeing more Sandy is always a win. And the random narrator here makes more sense since neither Gary nor Spot can talk.

I like that this episode continues a few plot threads from previous episodes, like Gary being a bottom-feeder, or more importantly, Patrick being a dog haha. His interaction with Gary at Squidward’s trashcans is pretty entertaining. Also amusing is just watching Gary go about his night in general, including fighting with the incompetent animal control. What I wish is that we could’ve seen Gary and Spot’s first interaction, but I’m fine with them being established friends like this. It’s good to see them both have friends in each other, since both characters, especially Gary, can feel rather isolated at times. And they’re so cute when playing together. It’s really fun to see these two going around all the familiar locations we know and love. Gary pretending to SpongeBob is absolutely adorable too. The animal control person following Gary and Spot continues to be incompetent, and it’s amusing watching Mr. Krabs kick his butt for leaving a mess (even though it was Gary and Spot).

Then, Gary and Spot go hide out in an old abandoned ship, where it turns out a bunch of other animals are hiding…including Mystery, Mary’s ex, and Patrick! Love the references here. I love the visuals of the party in this scene, they look so cool. But they also attract animal control once again…so that he can dance. Which ends in a full-scale brawl that somehow ends with the animal control guy winning??? What happened to the incompetence LMAO. But I guess that means we do get to see some jailbreaking, so I ain’t too mad. I love how easily Gary and Spot are able to break everyone out. Because then they realize how much of a loser the animal control guy is, and Gary decides to do something to make the guy feel better, set up a “date” and then marriage, cuz he’s just a king like that.

Finally, it’s nearing dawn, so it’s time for Gary and Spot to go home after a night of entertainment. And because it’s nearing dawn, we got a gorgeous background alert out of this. The ending of the episode is also great, where Sandy somehow just appears in SpongeBob’s bedroom, and Gary has to shush her. I think it’s a good payoff to the random narrator thing (which was also done in “Patnocchio”, though I didn’t talk about it).

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

Back