146a. The Abrasive Side

Mr. Sea Shell

Floating Shopping List

Review: A truely hilarious episode! Again, so many funny quotes! :p

Rating: 8.9/10

hfjs

Actually a goodish episode. No, I don't like SB's abrasive side though.

Another great season 7 episode. ı really liked the idea of this episdode and this episode was very funny. There were no flaws in this episode, except SpongeBob being mean to his Grandma and the ending. I lowered my score because of these flaws but It's still a great episode. Some parts were funny in this episode like most of Abrasive SpongeBob's lines, SpongeBob saying "No" to Pearl and then Pearl starting crying, Squidward saying "You don't know how long I have waited to hear those words", Disapper-Rator zapping Sandy's head and then Sandy's head disappearing and Mr. Krabs learning the meaning of overtime. Another season 7 episode that I loved and I recommend this episode. 9/10

MadFred

ooooooofy day
Am I the only one who finds this episode a bit creepy?

Supmandude

Squog
Okay, am I the only one that thinks the moral is horrible in this episode? I don't get people who complain about the "morals" in episodes that aren't supposed to be anything but comedy, but this one actually did try to present a moral and I think it's a complete and utter failure and sends off horrible messages.

Basically, SpongeBob was tired of being stepped on and saw a real problem in his life that he wanted to improve so he did it by artificial means that he ended up having to pay for. Then Sandy tells him that he didn't need that and could just be himself.

Here's why that's wrong: He wasn't trying to change himself to please people's judgments or anything, he wanted it so he could finally tell people no, that was a real issue. The lesson should not be "You're fine who you are" it should have been something like "You don't need this thing to help you tell people no, you can do that all on your own." or something like that. The moral is so bad when it's presented how it was here and Sandy didn't even feel remorseful for stepping on him, she saw no need for an improvement in that area of his life at all. Being yourself doesn't mean everything about you is perfect and you should never seek improvement, it just means you shouldn't be someone you aren't to fit in.

TL;DR The moral while I'm sure was well intended by the writers comes across as "Let people take advantage of you if you are the type of person who is taken advantage of."

7/10 for bad messages that are actually intended to be messages.

Mantis

killer queen best stand
I don't know why, but I really hate Squidward in this episode. And I don't know why people love this episode, because it feels like a redone version of Rule Of Dumb, just with SpongeBob being a jerk instead of Patprick.

Spongetron Robotpants said:
I don't know why, but I really hate Squidward in this episode. And I don't know why people love this episode, because it feels like a redone version of Rule Of Dumb, just with SpongeBob being a jerk instead of Patprick.
SpongeBob wanted people to say no but he is too nice, so Gary ordered an abrasive side for SpongeBob SpongeBob being a jerk in this episode didn't bother me because abrasive side makes him a jerk and even SpongeBob tried to get rid of him. Also I found abrasive side of SpongeBob funny.

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Oh really? Because SpongeBob didn't have a hell of a time saying no in pre-movie seasons. What I am trying to say is that SpongeBob didn't have a problem saying no to his friends before, so why start now?

Homie

get outer my space!
Why did you choose to mention Rule of Dumb when both this episode and that one have the characters actions justified in some way?

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Zelda4Life said:
SpongeBob has all kinds of continuity errors. Go with it.
Yup that's what I've always thought of it. While the places and major events in the show have been firmly established, it doesn't mean that they can't take the show in different directions especially when they have endings like Patrick getting stuck in Rock Bottom, SpongeBob's arms popping off, Mr. Krabs getting mostly eaten with his head intact or Patrick getting packed into a tuna can, etc, etc or changing details to fit the context of the story.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
Yup that's what I've always thought of it. While the places and major events in the show have been firmly established, it doesn't mean that they can't take the show in different directions especially when they have endings like Patrick getting stuck in Rock Bottom, SpongeBob's arms popping off, Mr. Krabs getting mostly eaten with his head intact or Patrick getting packed into a tuna can, etc, etc or changing details to fit the context of the story.
There are many shows that continue from where it left off last time. But, SpongeBob isn't that kind of show. It may have some continuity on occasion, but SpongeBob is a cartoon meant to entertain others, and doesn't need to reference a past plot.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Don't really like this one. It's not the funniest and some mean spiritedness here and there. Used to be one of my least favorites but my opinion has changed. 3/10

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Not a very good episode at all.

It's just lacking interesting components and perhaps better jokes. I've never been too fond of this one, and watching it again, still don't really like it that much.

The only good thing was SpongeBob's 5 second song. "I've got an abrasive side, abrasive side. I've got an abrasive side and now I can say NO!"

Back