Halibut Briefly Reviews SB Title Cards

Sweat

Banished
Yes. This is a topic I don't think anyone has EVER done on this site before. Well, I will. Episode by episode, I will briefly review each title card of all SB episodes. This is the format it will follow:

[picture of title card]

Font: explains size, spacing, and design of font (# of points out of 5)
Color: explains color scheme of title card (# of points out of 5) NOTE* - this rating will probably correspond with my favorite colors, so that's a warning
Background: explains design of background of title card (# of points out of 5)
Uniqueness: explains how unique title card is (# of points out of 5) NOTE* - the bottom line would be the kind of title cards that have a very basic tropical-looking background with tropical-looking text OTHER NOTE* - this rating will also correspond with if the title card has anything to do with the episode

Animation (extra credit): explains if any visible animation is on the title card (# of points out of 2) NOTE* - this part will only occur if the title card has any animation at all OTHER NOTE* - 1 points out of 2 means the animation is either brief or not good-looking 2 out of 2 means the animation is actually highly noticeable and fun to look at

MORE NOTES
- I don't care about the music of the title card.The music is usually bland of simple. If the music really IS interesting enough, it will correspond with the uniqueness rating.
- Personal opinion about the episode itself doesn't matter in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.
- The top score a title card can possibly get is 20 points. Even with the extra credit, no episode is perfect. No episode can possibly have 18 points in the first part than an extra 2 with extra credit. I don't see it happening.

Rating System
4 - 7 points - very hard to look at ; not charming in any way
8 - 11 points - average ; not charming or ugly
12 - 15 points - charming ; easy on the eyes
16 - 18 points - goes the extra mile ; very fun to look at
19 - 20 points - some of the best title cards the show has ever seen

Well, I might as well do my first one on Help Wanted, Reef Blower, and Tea at the Treedome

300px-Help_Wanted.jpg

Font: The font is fairly basic. It is quite jumbled in a unique manner, but it is not extremely pleasant to look at. +2
Color: The card is a mish-mash of different shades of brown-orange, blue, and pasty cream yellow. It's unpleasant and hard on the eyes. +1
Background: The background looks like cinnamon rolls with blue lines covering it. The background looks random, but sort of charming for an odd reason. +3
Uniqueness: The whole title card isn't very unique. It's the typical tropical title card simply with a bit of a different background.+1

Total Score: 7 points This title card isn't just average. The font and the color scheme make it upright hard to look at. F

300px-Reef_Blower.jpg

Font: The font is the same as Reef Blower, but the difference is that it seems a bit more curvy and smooth. +3
Color: The color scheme is pretty. The green, water blue and purple on the black background makes it feel flowery. +4
Background: The background is simply purple flowers with streaks of water covering it while all of it is pasted atop pitch black. The background isn't extraordinary, but it's nicer to look at than Help Wanted. +2
Uniqueness: The background is another one of those that feels generic. While it's nice to look it, there are no outstanding qualities on it. +1

Total Score: 10 points While the color scheme is pretty, that's the best part of the whole title card. D

300px-Tea_at_the_Treedome.jpg

Font: The font is another one of those fonts that seem jumbled and not too nice on the eyes. +1
Color: The color scheme involves light blue font, purple acorns and barf-green on the background. The color fails to impress. +1
Background: The background has purple acorns along with a green background. The background's form is definitely different. +2
Uniqueness: The title card looks a bit generic at first, but the acorns make it correspond with the episode. +2

Total Score: 6 points Other than the acorns, this title card has no redeeming qualities. The barf green makes it horrendous to look at. F

As a whole, beginning title cards from the show weren't amazing. They never catch my eye, and 2 of them are actually ugly. Hopefully, the title cards get better over the course of the show, which they actually do.

What do you guys think? What's your judgement on the title cards?

MadFred

ooooooofy day
Can you rate the title cards for Sandy's Rocket and Squidward, The Unfriendly Ghost? While not my favorites, I admit both are very interesting to look at.

Sweat

Banished
Ohad said:
Can you rate the title cards for Sandy's Rocket and Squidward, The Unfriendly Ghost? While not my favorites, I admit both are very interesting to look at.
I'm doing them in production order

More

VIP
[titlecard]2a[/titlecard]
[titlecard]189[/titlecard]

Sweat

Banished
More_Spongebob said:
[titlecard]2a[/titlecard]
[titlecard]189[/titlecard]
If you're requesting title cards, I'm doing them in production order. Hold your horses.

More

VIP
Halibut said:
If you're requesting title cards, I'm doing them in production order. Hold your horses.
These aren't requests. Look at the ..., so BubbleStand will be first and Spongebob, You're Fired is the current last.

MadFred

ooooooofy day
Halibut said:
I'm doing them in production order
Oh, okay.

I think you should give a title card some more points if it references the episode itself in a clever way; Just like Tea at the Treedome has acorns in it (because it introduces Sandy), and Frankendoodle is drawn like a sketch.

Sweat

Banished
Ohad said:
Oh, okay.

I think you should give a title card some more points if it references the episode itself in a clever way; Just like Tea at the Treedome has acorns in it (because it introduces Sandy), and Frankendoodle is drawn like a sketch.
Hmm, good idea! I'll contribute that in the unique rating.

MadFred

ooooooofy day
Halibut said:
Hmm, good idea! I'll contribute that in the unique rating.
So, does that mean you'll give credit to Tee at the Treedome? :p
(Still one of my least favorite title cards, though)

hfjs

This idea is insane...

..;ly cool and interesting.

Sweat

Banished
Ohad said:
So, does that mean you'll give credit to Tee at the Treedome? :P
(Still one of my least favorite title cards, though)
Yeah, I'll edit Tea at the Treedome

MadFred

ooooooofy day
Oh, I like the fact that you added a rating system of letters. But, shouldn't Reef Blower be D? I think it should be like this:

4 - 7 points - F
8 - 11 points - D
12 - 15 points - C
16 - 18 points - B
19 - 20 points - A/A+

Of course, it's your choice.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Ohad said:
Oh, I like the fact that you added a rating system of letters. But, shouldn't Reef Blower be D? I think it should be like this:

4 - 7 points - F
8 - 11 points - D
12 - 15 points - C
16 - 18 points - B
19 - 20 points - A/A+

Of course, it's your choice.
Nah 19-20 is extra credit, so 18 should be like an A. Oh and where's E? :p

Sweat

Banished
Font:
Color:
Background:
Uniqueness:

Final Score:
I'll just keep this template here to make this easier

300px-BubblestandTitleCard.png

Font: The plot is nothing special, but the shadowing makes it a bit interesting. +2
Color: The color is very easy on the eyes ; the bright yellow with the dark cool colors compliment each other very well. +4
Background: The background looks minimalist, but it makes good sense for the episode's subject. +3
Uniqueness: The title card does well in representing the episode's main subject: bubbles. +3

Final Score: 12 points While the title card isn't extremely special, it's still very easy on the eyes. C

300px-RippedPantsTitleCard.png

Font: Once again, the font isn't very special. +1
Color: The yellow and blue are nicely complimentary and make the title card eye-pleasing. +3
Background: The background is generic, but the palm trees are a nice touch. +2
Uniqueness: The title card isn't very unique, and it doesn't go with the episode super well. +1

Final Score: 7 points The title card's color may not be too bad, but it's extremely generic and nothing exciting. F

300px-Jellyfishing.jpg

Font: Once again, the font isn't anything special at all, but it's a bit more organized-looking that previous fonts. +2
Color: The dark blue, black, and purple along with the bright yellow text is apparently still a favorite with color schemes so far, and it still looks good, especially here. +4
Background: The background's dark feel with the jellyfish looks funky and very pleasing to the eyes. +3
Uniqueness: The background definitely fits well with the episode and even the name of the episode. +3

Final Score: 12 points This title card is virtually as strong as Bubblestand, and it's just as cool-looking. C

Plankton.jpg

Font: The text takes up a large amount of space, and it looks kind odd, but the style plus the exclamation point gives it a sort of expression. +2
Color: The color scheme isn't extremely good looking, but at least it isn't very ugly. The red is in good contrast with the dark purple. +3
Background: Other than the dark tone which fits well with the subject of Plankton, the background is generic and nothing special. +2
Uniqueness: The title card does feel a bit ominous, but it would be hard to recognize if the text were taken out. +2

Final Score: 9 points The title card does fit the subject matter color scheme-wise, but not in any way else. D

300px-Naughty_Nautical_Neighbors.jpg

Font: When the font is just plain black, you know it's nothing special at all. +1
Color: The plain black text on the painfully dull yellow and orange makes the whole concoction very hard on the eyes. +1
Background: The background is simply tropical pattern and pineapples, so it doesn't do anything. At least it has some sort of object on it. +2
Uniqueness: The pineapples are nice, but that's as far as you can go with calling this unique in any way. +2

Final Score: 6 points The painful color scheme and very boring font makes this one of the ugliest title cards of season 1. F

300px-Boating_School.jpg

Font: The font is skinny and messed up, just like almost all of the season 1 title card. +1
Color: A rare instance where bright yellow text with blue, black, and purple background doesn't do well, mainly because the blue looks very, very dull. +2
Background: The background is supposed to look like black bamboo, but it looks quite odd instead. +1
Uniqueness: If you changed the text to Krusty Krab, most people would see it and this the corresponding episode should be about the Krusty Krab. +1

Final Score: 5 points This title card is EXTREMELY horrendous, as the dullness makes it uncomfortably ugly. F

300px-Pizza_Delivery.jpg

Font: The nice yellow outline on black text is nice, but it's not too amazing. +2
Color: The color scheme isn't amazing with the bright orange, yellow and blue along with black text, but at least it isn't dull. +2
Background: The background is the usual flower background, but the bright colors make it look pretty nice. +2
Uniqueness: The title card isn't very unique, and it doesn't have anything to do with pizza. +1

Final Score: 7 points The colors on the card may be bright and colorful, but that doesn't save its overall genericness. F

300px-Home_Sweet_Pineapple.jpg

Font: The text with the word pineapple isn't anything special, but the cursive of Home Sweet looks surprisingly pleasant. +3
Color: The color seems bland with dark blue, red, and a dull yellow background. +1
Background: The pattern of the background that looks like SpongeBob's pineapple house is quite enjoyable. +3
Uniqueness: The cursive plus the pattern resembling the pineapple pattern makes the title card pretty unique. +3

Final Score: 10 points The colors may not be great, but the difference between this and other title cards of this season is overwhelming. D

Best Title Cards So Far...
=1= Bubblestand (12 points)
=1= Jellyfishing (12 points)
=3= Home Sweet Pineapple (10 points)
=3= Reef Blower (10 points)
5. Plankton (9 points)

Worst Title Cards So Far...
1. Boating School (5 points)
=2= Naughty Nautical Neighbors (6 points)
=2= Tea at the Treedome (6 points)
=3= Help Wanted (7 points)
=3= Ripped Pants (7 points)
=3= Pizza Delivery (7 points)

More

VIP
Really, Season One doesn't have many fantastic title cards anyways.

Back