SpongeBob's new Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon revealed!

E.V.I.L said:
I could drive to this parade if I really wanted to. Hmm
Better of watching it on TV. You can't see A THING when you go to the actual parade, regardless of where you are. I've learned from experience.

PatStar2000 said:
Better of watching it on TV. You can't see A THING when you go to the actual parade, regardless of where you are. I've learned from experience.
I'll just ride the SpongeBob balloon and watch it from the air, problem solved. Sorry for being such an ignorant Upstater. :P

E.V.I.L said:
I'll just ride the SpongeBob balloon and watch it from the air, problem solved. Sorry for being such an ignorant Upstater. :p
You could be one of the balloon handlers. :P

8213218241_1ec0535c53_z.jpg

I wonder if they'll get new tabards to go with the new balloon?

DadMom AngryPants said:
You could be one of the balloon handlers. :p

8213218241_1ec0535c53_z.jpg

I wonder if they'll get new tabards to go with the new balloon?
meh, floating on it and seeing it a way no one else will sounds a lot more worthy to be stuck in NYC traffic for xD

and SB from the front HES SO CUTE AHH

Entertainment Weekly article about the new balloon along with a rendering, although we've already seen the real thing. :shiftyninja:

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea, except when he’s floating in the sky high above New York City?

That’d be this 44-feet-tall, 41-feet-long, 34-feet-wide SpongeBob SquarePants balloon, which will make its debut at the 87th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Nov. 28. Nine years after SpongeBob first appeared at the parade, the flying sea-dweller will enjoy a new holiday-themed look — though his fundamental SpongeBob-iness remains intact.

“It’s not very often that the term ‘square and ‘balloon’ are used together, but for nearly a decade the SpongeBob SquarePants balloon has been one of the many highlights of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade,” said Amy Kule, Executive Producer of the yearly special, in a statement. “With his animated persona and super-sized Santa hat, this second iteration of this irascible character will float down the Parade route to the continued delight of the millions of fans lining the streets of New York and the many millions more watching on television across the country. This Thanksgiving, SpongeBob once again takes his rightful position squarely in the sky.”

I'm not sure why they refer to him as an "irascible character". Irascible means irritable/easily angered, which is basically the opposite of SpongeBob. :p

And here's the official press release:

SpongeBob SquarePants Balloon Gets Holiday Makeover For 87th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Making his way from Bikini Bottom to New York City, the high-flying SpongeBob SquarePants balloon will debut a new look for the 87th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade® on Thursday, Nov. 28. Donning a holiday-themed ensemble for this year's celebration, millions of fans will watch as SpongeBob takes to the sky for his ninth consecutive procession down the streets of Manhattan.

The SpongeBob balloon design was re-imagined by Nickelodeon and the Macy's Parade organizers to give it a fresh, more vivid look. The balloon structure was also fine-tuned as organizers accomplished an engineering feat, incorporating 800 tie lines in the single chamber sphere that intricately pull together SpongeBob's trademark square shape.

"It's not very often that the term 'square' and 'balloon' are used together, but for nearly a decade the SpongeBob SquarePants balloon has been one of the many highlights of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade," said Amy Kule, Executive Producer of the holiday spectacle. "With his animated persona and super-sized Santa hat, this second iteration of this irascible character will float down the Parade route to the continued delight of the millions of fans lining the streets of New York and the many millions more watching on television across the country. This Thanksgiving, SpongeBob once again takes his rightful position squarely in the sky."

"Nickelodeon has a long history of successful collaborations with Macy's and we are very excited to unveil this new SpongeBob balloon at the Parade this year," said Pam Kaufman, Chief Marketing Officer and President of Consumer Products, Nickelodeon. "Watching the Parade is a time-honored, Thanksgiving Day tradition and we hope this balloon brings a sense of SpongeBob's eternal optimism to the millions of families watching at home and the millions more experiencing the Parade in New York City."

In 2004, the first-ever SpongeBob SquarePants Balloon made its inaugural appearance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to the delight of kids and adults alike. Based on the most-watched animated kids' show on TV, this year's newest SpongeBob balloon will stand at 44-feet tall, 41-feet long and 34-feet wide as it struts down New York's most famous parade route.

Soooo much cuter than the original. :pattongue:

I decided to use a picture of the model for my profile image
(For Now)

Back