• In an effort to mitigate against spambots and weak passwords, we're implementing two-factor authentication. The set-up process should be automatic and simple.
    Please contact the staff if you have problems. More information in this thread. Thank you!

Roger Ebert (Movie Critic) Dies at age 70

Patty Sponge

Always Fear
Renowned American film critic Roger Ebert has died at 70 after a long battle with cancer, his newspaper the Chicago Sun-Times has reported.
Ebert, known for his thumbs-up or down reviews on a series of television shows on films, first became a film critic for the Sun-Times in 1967.
He was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2002, losing his jaw and his ability to speak in a subsequent surgery.
But he later resumed writing full-time and also returned to television.
On Tuesday, Ebert revealed on his popular blog that he faced a fresh bout with cancer and was taking a "leave of presence", writing fewer reviews.
He suffered a hip fracture in December that he said "had recently been revealed to be a cancer".
"It is being treated with radiation, which has made it impossible for me to attend as many movies as I used to," he wrote. But Ebert vowed to continue his work.
R.I.P. Roger Ebert
May your postion as Greatest Critic of all time, stay with you.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Ah no! I only found about Siskel & Ebert a few months ago, but it's still very sad to hear about his death.

OWM

XD
spongebob-crying-o.gif

spongebob-cries-o.gif

spongebob-crying-o.gif

SpOnGeFaN818

Wumbologist
I heard about this earlier today and was deeply saddened by it. I'm not going to lie; Ebert has been one of the biggest inspirations in my life, even though I've never met him. His writing has very much helped shape my personal tastes and encouraged me to expand my horizons in film, and even his style of writing has helped influence me whenever I write movie reviews. This is a real shame, though he lived a long and amazing life. My favorite movie critic of all time is gone, but he will certainly not be forgotten.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Never heard of this guy in the first place, but I guess it is pretty sad. :|

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
I never was a big fan of his reviews, but it is sad to see him go. He left such a huge stamp on us with movie reviews and is viewed as a icon. R.I.P Roger Ebert. :(

DJ Sponge

Future Miss Universe
I'm too lazy to find a link.

But look his piece he wrote a couple of years ago on death. It's beautiful stuff. Apart from his critic-y stuff, he was a great writer about things in general.

Back