• Hi, Guest! Tuesday, November 5, 2024 is Election Day in the U.S.
    If you are eligible, please vote! Your vote matters! To find out how to vote in your state, visit Vote.org or Vote.gov.

"It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" on DVD and Blu-ray

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Favorite Character
Patrick
It's Christmas and Bikini Bottom as you've never experienced them before! Created entirely in Stop Motion animation, It's a SpongeBob Christmas! is destined to be a holiday classic. This special double-length episode finds all of Bikini Bottom in a festive mood as they prepare for Santa's arrival. But not Plankton, who's once again expecting a lump of coal. So he comes up with his most diabolic new scheme yet, one that practically guarantees he'll finally get the gift he's always wanted - the Krabby Patty secret formula! It's a SpongeBob Christmas! is a tasty tale sure to put the whole family in the holiday spirit! And there's more, including a behind-the-scenes featurette, an animatic, a SpongeBob Yule Log and two downloadable songs from the episode. Warm your fins this holiday season, SpongeBob style!

Today Nickelodeon/Paramount have announced that SpongeBob SquarePants - It's a SpongeBob Christmas! will be available on both DVD and high-def Blu-ray Disc formats November 6th. Not to be confused with the 2003 release of "SpongeBob SquarePants - Christmas," this new package will included the titular item, a 2012 holiday special "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" (which isn't planned to hit broadcast until December).

We don't know yet what other SpongeBob episodes are on board, nor do we have pricing or package art just yet. But we do have this nice list of extras, including 3 bonus Christmas-themed episodes from other Nick shows! Check it out:

Behind the Scenes Feature
Animatic
Yule Log
Two Downloadable Songs:
T.U.F.F. Puppy episode 121, "A Doomed Christmas"
Fanboy & Chum Chum episode 217 "A Very Brrr-y Icemas"
The Fairly OddParents episode 7 "Christmas Every Day!"
Bonus SpongeBob Episodes (123 min.)
Bonus Special Features: A Featurette
More Secrets
Music Video
Source-TVShowsOnDVD

This will be the first SpongeBob release available in Blu-ray other than the movie.

Release Date: November 6, 2012

Cover Art:

Wow, the DVD will come out before the episode?
That's actually been pretty common for the last few years with the DVD releases. Good way for them to sell more without really damaging their ratings on premier day much.

Yeah, me and my sister rented Spongebob's Last Stand around a month before it premiered.

Sounds like it will be a good DVD :) I just hope it has a good selection of bonus episodes

Oh sweet! I wonder why they sometimes release specials on DVD before it's on T.V.

Oh sweet! I wonder why they sometimes release specials on DVD before it's on T.V.

Likely to increase DVD sales, people would more likely want the DVD if the episode hasn't yet been released on TV

But i don't think many people would like to watch Fanboy And Chum Chum.

"Two downloadable songs from the episode" ... so we're getting a new song(s) as well as Don't Be A Jerk? Yey! :D

Cover art:

ItsASpongeBobChristmas_DVD-and-BLU+DVD.jpg

The boxes will come encased in an "Enhanced O-Sleeve". Also, the Blu-ray pack will include some exclusive features: Bonus Spongebob episodes (123 mins), and bonus special features: "a featurette, more secrets, and a music video".
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/SpongeBob-SquarePants-Its-A-SpongeBob-Christmas/17348

Not a bad cover.. good for the episode I guess. Looks like they've got a new font (that they then modified) for me to track down.

This looks pretty cool. I may buy it. I wonder if the fact that it's a Blu-Ray release means the special will be animated in HD. That'd be awesome. The other features sound cool; Behind the scenes featurettes, one of the best Fairly Odd Parents eps, and a TUFF Puppy Christmas special sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Oh wait Fanboy and Chum-Chum? AUTOMATIC UN-BUY Anyway, this looks very nice.

Anything filmed (stop-motion is an example) will be hi-def in some regard if it's on a high-definition medium such as bluray, because film in general is still higher quality than what the medium can replicate. That's why pretty much any film, no matter how old, looks great on bluray. The uncompressed sound is a bonus too. Even upconverting classic SpongeBob SquarePants episodes by transferring them to blu would be fantastic.

As far as cartoon animation goes, things like sound aren't overly-important but ever since I upgraded all my stuff to HD and 2D & 3D bluray, DVDs are becoming less and less attractive. I only buy DVDs now when the title isn't produced on blu.

All this being said, I'm locking in on this (bluray edition) when it gets released, even if the episode is subpar. I love stop-motion and it's about time they released some more bluray. I re-purchased The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and it looks fantastic. I wish they'd release The First 100 Episodes on bluray, because I'd even re-buy that. This will be the first "theme" video I've bought since To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants. Besides that I only bought season sets.

Nice cover art :) I just wish it featured other characters on the cover too

One question, is this episode from Season 8 or Season 9?

Nice cover art :) I just wish it featured other characters on the cover too

One question, is this episode from Season 8 or Season 9?

I would guess Season 9, since we're nearing the end of S8 and this episode doesn't premiere until November. :)

It's season 8. I know that from somewhere.

Isn't this episode's production number 175? That's still part of Season 8, I believe. :P

Isn't this episode's production number 175? That's still part of Season 8, I believe. :P
Yes... The episode is still part of Season 8.

Back