Filming of live action scenes

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Live action scenes will be shot in Savannah later this year:

Move over Forrest Gump, Lady Chablis and Bagger Vance. Make room for Savannah’s next claim to silver screen fame, SpongeBob SquarePants.

The makers of the animated star’s new film, Spongebob Squarepants 2, will shoot live action scenes for the movie in Savannah’s historic district later this year, the city of Savannah Film Office announced Thursday.

The report comes a day after the director of the film office, Jay Self, told the Savannah Downtown Business Association an announcement was imminent and the film would feature a star “as recognizable” as Forrest Gump, played by Tom Hanks.The SpongeBob film will be the second featuring the Nickelodeon cable network favorite. The first SpongeBob Movie, released in 2004, grossed more than $140 million worldwide and is among the highest earning animated films to be based on a television cartoon series of all time.

Nickelodeon Movies and Paramount Animation, a division of Paramount Pictures and Viacom, announced plans for SpongeBob SquarePants 2 in February. The film is to be released in late 2014, Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman said at the initial announcement.

The film will shoot for approximately 40 days in downtown Savannah. The budget for SpongeBob SquarePants has not been announced but is projected in the same range as the first SpongeBob movie, which cost $30 million to make.

Self told the Savannah Downtown Business Association a major film traditionally results in $250,000 in spending per day.

Savannah will be the setting for the film’s live action scenes. The first SpongeBob movie also included live action, with former Baywatch star and longtime pop music artist David Hasselhoff playing the lead role.

The filmmakers have yet to disclose the identities of the live action actors for SpongeBob SquarePants 2.

Individuals interested in working as crew may forward resumes to: resumes.spongebob2@gmail.com.

Also, Tybee Island (near the city of Savannah) have tweeted that the movie will be filmed there as well from September - November. (Source.)

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Wish I was able to apply just for the fun of it haha
Would be super awesome

Good to hear they're making progress

Cha

I love SBM
My name is Savannah. I was destined to love this show.
happy-cuteness-overload.jpg

THE CITY'S NAME MY NAME AND I WAS NAMED AFTER THE CITY WHEN I WAS STILL IN MY MOM'S STOMACH THERE DJDIFNFJCIDNANABDJCNARRFJ

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Unlimitedcha said:
THE CITY'S NAME MY NAME AND I WAS NAMED AFTER THE CITY WHEN I WAS STILL IN MY MOM'S STOMACH THERE DJDIFNFJCIDNANABDJCNARRFJ
They don't say that Hasselhoff is coming back, they just mention that he was in the first movie. :)

Cha

I love SBM
Yeah, that's what I edited it out. I was skimming through it earlier and didn't read it enough to realize it. :p

AlexaStar

Floating Shopping List
With a large part of the movie being on land, Sandy had better have a big role.

That's all I'm saying.

Unlimitedcha said:
My name is Savannah. I was destined to love this show.
happy-cuteness-overload.jpg

is your name really Savannah or are you kidding because if it really is that's freaking amazing you lucky duck. :D

AlexaStar said:
With a large part of the movie being on land, Sandy had better have a big role.

That's all I'm saying.
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES yes

And is this Savanna, GA or Savannah, Cuba? (at least I believe the 2nd one exists :P )

Supmandude

Squog
I wish I lived in Georgia, I would totally try out to be an extra if I did. :(

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Tybee City council meets with SpongeBob filmmakers (Video)

TYBEE ISLAND, GA (WTOC) - It's almost time to start filming the new Spongebob Squarepants movie on Tybee Island.

Tybee Island City Council met with filmmakers on Thursday to talk about what to expect when they get to work on September 30th.

"They're going to do it in our business district and we want to make sure it's not going to have a negative impact on the businesses down there. The folks who are here with the film have been willing to work with our business community, and I'm sure we'll be able to work out any differences." said Jason Buelterman, Mayor of Tybee Island.

There will be another meeting next week to vote on the production crew's requests.

Filming should wrap up on November 5th.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
According to a recent casting update, the bad guy has a beard. It sounds as though SpongeBob and friends will be chasing him (or vice versa) along the beach and causing havoc.

---

Greenlight is given for filming to start on Tybee Island:
After hitting a roadblock last week, it is now smooth sailing for Spongebob the Sequel producers on Tybee Island.

Producers were back in front of Tybee City Council on Tuesday night after councilmembers delayed a decision on a permit to allow production on the island last Thursday. Businesses raised concerns about the impact filming would have on them, and residents had similar concerns as well as worries about sea turtle safety.

After face-to-face meetings with businesses over the weekend, producers were granted the permits Tuesday night. Production is scheduled to begin Sept. 30 on south Tybee beach near the pier.

Mayor Jason Buelterman told WTOC businesses were assured there would be no impact on them, and if there was, they would be compensated. He said it was important everyone was on the same page and was happy that the extra few days was not a big deal in accomplishing that goal.
---

Downtown Savannah is prepared for filming:
Storefronts are being painted or pressure washed and crosswalks touched up along Broughton Street in preparation for filming live action scenes for the animated “SpongeBob SquarePants 2” movie scheduled to begin Oct. 9 in downtown Savannah.

“They’re trying to make it look like it’s right at the seaside,” said Jay Self, director of the city of Savannah film office.

The changes are temporary, Self said, with all buildings scheduled to be restored to their original colors after filming is complete.

The SpongeBob film will be the second featuring the Nickelodeon cable network favorite. The first SpongeBob movie, released in 2004, grossed more than $140 million.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Here is a PDF of communications between Laura Bryant (Locations Manager for the movie) and Tybee Island City Council.

It's quite long, so here are the parts I think are most interesting, because they tell us a little about what will actually happen in these live action scenes.

• There is a scene that the SpongeBob characters are trying to roll a 'beached animal' (which is an actual person sunbathing) back into the water. (Pg 12)
  • "Food truck in parking lot scene". We have a scene that our "amphibious boat" is driving north out of the parking lot heading toward Tybrisa Street. (Pg 12)
  • The following activities are proposed for the scene entitled "Pirate Boat". [...] This scene takes place at the tide line. Our "boat" is amphibious and it appears to have come out of the ocean onto the beach. Company intends to back the "boat" up to the tide line, "boat" drives up and heads toward the land. This "boat" is not intended to be in water, just to appear as if it was driving out of the water. (Pg 14)
  • The following activities are proposed for the scene entitled "SpongeBob lands on dry land". This scene takes place on the beach at the tide line. SpongeBob and his friends are on the beach. These characters range from approximately 7 to 12 inches tall so the camera will be low to the ground. [...] Production will also have a dog on the beach for one scene in the same area as above-mentioned location. The scene is a live dog walks up to a blanket and sniffs a hamburger. (Pg 15)
  • The following activities are proposed for the scene entitled "boy on bike path". A boy is pedaling down sidewalk and the SpongeBob characters jump on. (Pg 16)
  • Our scene "muscle beach" takes place at the end of the Chatham County Pier. (Pg 16)

Back