Man Created SpongeBob First. Sues for $1.6billion

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
http://www.signonsandiego.com:80/news/stat...boblawsuit.html

SAN FRANCISCO Troy Walker claims he created Bob Spongee, an unemployed cartoon sponge who lived with his family on Apple street, in 1991. So in 2002 when Walker saw Nickelodeon's SpongBob SquarePants, a wildly popular animated sponge who lives among friends and foes beneath the waves in a city called Bikini Bottom, he saw too many similarities.

The 40-year-old Walker has filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in San Francisco against Nickelodeon, Viacom Inc., Paramount Studios and Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob. He has demanded $1.6 billion in damages, and alleged that the defendants used his idea without his permission.

They took all of it, said Walker.

Walker claims to have made 1,000 Bob Spongee dolls, which he sold throughout Northern California. Walker believes the doll inspired the producers of the show to duplicate his character.

Hillenburg could not be reached for comment and a spokeswoman at Nickelodeon said in a letter that they believe Walker's claim is baseless. Viacom's attorneys have said in court documents that Sponge Bob is different from Bob Spongee.

The suit alleges that Walker created Bob Spongee, The Unemployed Sponge during the recession of the early 1990s. He claims to have kept advertisements he ran in the Oakland Tribune for the doll.

Walker points to a SpongeBob SquarePants episode called, Sponge for hire! as proof that Nickelodeon stole the idea.

It is more than ironic that two working class sponges are named Bob, Walker says in his complaint. Both characters are unemployed. Both characters live in a house concept.

DJ Sponge

Future Miss Universe
I doubt that man really ever watched the show. I mean, just read this,

It is more than ironic that two working class sponges are named Bob, Walker says in his complaint. Both characters are unemployed. Both characters live in a house concept.

SpongeBob is employed by The Krusty Krab. This man needs to get his ideas straight before he can sue Nickelodeon. People like him are all over the place, making up stuff about stuff and sueing people.

Band Geek

Pursuit Blast Destroy
Uh-oh -- What's gonna happen if Walker wins the lawsuit? Do you think SpongeBob episodes will be changed to Bob Spongee episodes?! Gasp - we may lose Squidward!

Nah, just kidding. Two words - Disclaimers.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I don't think they stole his idea. There's lots of things that are similar. I mean, there's 2 shows called "Dennis the Menace." (although one is also called "Dennis & Gnasher)

Plus, we know the true story of how SpongeBob was created. They didn't steal the idea.

Walker points to a SpongeBob SquarePants episode called, Sponge for hire! as proof that Nickelodeon stole the idea.

There is no episode called "Sponge For Hire." There is a DVD, but that's just the DVD name.

spongezilla

that man is a liar! he prombaly made those dolls after they made spongebob. he just said he made them before.

did he even watch spongebob hire? it was help wanted when spongebob got his job. sponge for hire was just a video for new employes, and spongebob just host it. and help wanted was the first, so how can they possiby steal his ideal.

Nick is going to win, someone is going to point sponge for hire out. O_o

DJ Sponge

Future Miss Universe
I don't think they stole his idea. There's lots of things that are similar. I mean, there's 2 shows called "Dennis the Menace." (although one is also called "Dennis & Gnasher)

Yerah, but both Dennis The Menaces were created in the same week, so there were no law-suits.

Didn't Stephen Hillenburg first create SpongeBob in the 80's in Animation school or something...?

spongezilla

Yerah, but both Dennis The Menaces were created in the same week, so there were no law-suits.

Didn't Stephen Hillenburg first create SpongeBob in the 80's in Animation school or something...?

i herd that too. didn't also make a comic about sealife and a host, bob the sponge?

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
Walker says there are too many similarites...

1. SpongeBob doesn't have a wife and daughter, Bob Spongee does.

2. Both Sponges are named Bob, maybe Walker should find out that SpongeBob was going to be called SpongeBoy. Maybe then he wouldn't try to sue them.

Maybe Walker should get the 1st season box set, and watch the special features. He would find out that Hillenburg created a Sponge named Bob in the 1980's.

spongezilla

2. Both Sponges are named Bob, maybe Walker should find out that SpongeBob was going to be called SpongeBoy. Maybe then he wouldn't try to sue them.

Maybe Walker should get the 1st season box set, and watch the special features. He would find out that Hillenburg created a Sponge named Bob in the 1980's.

he shoud get sponge for hire or watch KKTV and see it wasn't his ideal. he sees the tittle and thinks spongebob gets hired for something. yeah right.

Ocean Man

search:party:animal

Yeah. This Walker guy needs to know that his idea was not stolen, SH thought of Spongebob many years before it was showed on TV.

Besides, if Spongebob is cancelled, Walker will have to face the wrath of Spongebob fans. O_o

But it will probably not get cancelled, let's hope.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
Reminds me of the phrase "Don't Judge a Book by its cover."

He probably saw a DVD called "Sponge For Hire" and thought it was about SpongeBob getting a job.

Don't judge a show by its character's name.

spongezilla

Reminds me of the phrase "Don't Judge a Book by its cover."

He probably saw a DVD called "Sponge For Hire" and thought it was about SpongeBob getting a job.

Don't judge a show by its character's name.

yeah, that vrase says alot. lot of people does that, that why i don't have many friends at school. they all judge me by looks.

dubbi

Radical Wumbologist
that man is a liar! he prombaly made those dolls after they made spongebob. he just said he made them before.

did he even watch spongebob hire? it was help wanted when spongebob got his job. sponge for hire was just a video for new employes, and spongebob just host it. and help wanted was the first, so how can they possiby steal his ideal.

Nick is going to win, someone is going to point sponge for hire out. :D
He made the dolls in 1991!!!!

SpongeChamp

Moby Dollar

Nick is going to win, someone is going to point sponge for hire out. :P
He made the dolls in 1991!!!!
so what?
i don't believe that, i believe he just SAID he made it before spongebob was made.
but even if he has made them in 1991, so what?
steve hillenburg created spongebob in the 1980s!

Patrickrox11

Do the cramp!
SpongeBob IS employed. There is NO episode called "Sponge For Hire." There is only a DVD. SpongeChamp is right. Stephen Hillenburg began sketching out SpongeBob in 1986.

Band Geek

Pursuit Blast Destroy
This is like that one time I dreamt that Squidward and SpongeBob started a band together - a few months later, Nick did an album that promoted "SpongeBob and the Hi-Seas". I didn't complain, nor start a lawsuit. Why? Because they had no idea about my dream. This is probably the case here.

DJ Sponge

Future Miss Universe
It's very clear this man wants money. Stuff like this has been happening for years. Something gets popular, someone comes in and tries to cash in by sueing them. It happens all the time.

Back